Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who needs a digital scale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
the75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Who needs a digital scale?

I used a digital scale for the first time on my last brew day & I wouldn't want to brew without it. I just noticed that groupon goods has one for $24 if anyone is interested. Figured I'd let y'all know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Great deal, may have to pick one up

On Deck ______________ Tasty's Brown (Brown with NB)
1st Primary ____________ Sour Pliny
Kegged________________ Sangio.Port Wine
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

there are several under $20 on amazon...

Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah, I was gonna say, cheap digital scales aren't hard to wrangle.

The question is the usable range. A 7kg scale accurate to 1g costing under $100 is pretty useless under about 100g, usually.

You want a scale good to .1g or better for measuring hops accurately.

So you get two low-cost scales or one high dollar scale.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
erockomania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I bought a $10 luggage scale on ebay for measuring out large grain portions (works great and pretty darn accurate! up to 80lbs) and a "razor" for all hops and generally light shiza which needs to be ultra accurate.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I bought two American Weigh Blade scales on amazon and I use them both, a lot. The 0.1g scale was about $10 and the 0.01g scale was about $15, both free shipping with amazon prime. They're small, accurate and easy to calibrate if you're willing to buy calibration weights.

I bought the 0.01g scale initially for wine making where my 0.1g scale just wasn't cutting it. For brewing, I use it for weighting out hops, spices and k-meta to get rid of chlorine and chloramine. I use the 0.1g scale for measuring priming sugar. I really can't imagine brewing without them.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
I bought two American Weigh Blade scales on amazon and I use them both, a lot. The 0.1g scale was about $10 and the 0.01g scale was about $15, both free shipping with amazon prime. They're small, accurate and easy to calibrate if you're willing to buy calibration weights.

I bought the 0.01g scale initially for wine making where my 0.1g scale just wasn't cutting it. For brewing, I use it for weighting out hops, spices and k-meta to get rid of chlorine and chloramine. I use the 0.1g scale for measuring priming sugar. I really can't imagine brewing without them.
My .1g scale is fine for measuring hops even in very small quantities for 1 gallon batches, but i did spring for a better grade than the ones intended for more recreational uses. Reputable manufacturers will specify the minimum weight it should be able to measure accurately.

A few weeks ago i went looking for a vendor to sell me some disodium EDTA for deep cleaning purposes (used carboys that MAY have some mercury salts clinging to the glass) and discovered that purebulk also sells pure synthetic caffeine, and it's CHEAP.

And then when i held 100g of pure pharmaceutical grade caffeine in my hands and realized that it's enough to kill me a bunch of times over, I ordered a .001g scale.

They also sell precipitated calcium carbonate (chalk), citric acid (but only 1kg at a time!), and some other straight up chemicals, minerals, and extracts that may be handy for brewers and wine makers.

Quick Reply