Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who here is a sloppy home brewer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2189 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore
I don't know if I would call it sloppy. Making beer is more cooking than baking. With cooking you can vary the items a bit and actually improve a receipe. With baking, you have to be more percise. I am an excellent cook and a so so baker.
I've got to disagree 100% on this one. I can throw a beer together or I can throw together some dough and get in the ball park, but if I want to have consistent results, measurements must be made.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2350 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

I have been before. I try and do things the right way. I used to be more "sloppy" due to brewing without being totally prepared. i made more less than great batches that way, so I spend more time making sure everything is in place and I have a list to check off now.

Though to be honest, I have made some decent beers by winging it. It's just not as much fun as having everything prepared and thought out. Actual brewing time is cut down drastically when you are prepared too.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
I've got to disagree 100% on this one. I can throw a beer together or I can throw together some dough and get in the ball park, but if I want to have consistent results, measurements must be made.
I'll 50% disagree with that concept.

Brewing can be seen as almost a middle ground between cooking and baking. You don't need to be 100% accurate to have an award winning beer. Consistency is great for commercial breweries. But we are homebrewers and we're not brewing the same beer hundreds of times for the public to judge and pay for our product.

To answer the OP's original question. If you're a good brewer, you can wing it and get away with some great beers. But I would not recommend winging it if you're a noob. Learn how recipes/processes work first.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Otterella
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm too new to brewing to be this way yet, but it's how I cook and its how I knit, so I don't doubt it will be how I brew when I get some experience. My husband is the exact opposite, though. He's very meticulous with recipes and instructions. Since we brew together, I might wind up constrained by him. He doesn't realize that my signature lasagna that he loves so much would never have happened if I let myself be bound by recipes.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I go changing boil length and additions depending on how the thing tastes. Definitively reminds me of cooking (adding herbs to a casserole).

Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Agree sloppy has a bad connotation - I'm not OC about some things when I brew though. I do measure most ingredients but am not above eyeballing water levels. I also usually leave gravity measurements to the end (if at all) and may or may not bother adjusting with some water if needed. Now, like others if I am trying to replicate something I will get anal about all of it but usually I am happy with getting beer at the end... My day job requires some meticulous granularity of process and I usually prefer to be relaxed about brewing.

-Craig

Old 11-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

"I've got to disagree 100% on this one. I can throw a beer together or I can throw together some dough and get in the ball park, but if I want to have consistent results, measurements must be made."

So you haven't tried different hops or different hops addition times than scheduled? I think you missed my point a bit. You can make slight changes in your brewing and get different results. You can bump up your Ibu's without adding more hops, but adding them at different times in the boil.

Brewing beer is an ongoing process that allows you to make changes to the batch much like cooking. Baking? Once it's in the oven, it's in the oven. Very hard to correct baking after the dough ball is formed and raised. Beer? Flexibility in changing the flavor profile even weeks after the boil.

Hope that clears my comments up for you.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I do BIAB so I always just toss extra base malt in at will to help with efficiency. I don't have a scale and try to use the left hand dumbell right hand grain bag measurement system. It's terribly inaccurate. One day I'll invest in a good scale

Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
Agree sloppy has a bad connotation - I'm not OC about some things when I brew though. I do measure most ingredients but am not above eyeballing water levels. I also usually leave gravity measurements to the end (if at all) and may or may not bother adjusting with some water if needed. Now, like others if I am trying to replicate something I will get anal about all of it but usually I am happy with getting beer at the end... My day job requires some meticulous granularity of process and I usually prefer to be relaxed about brewing.
You explained my thoughts quite well.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #20
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore View Post
"I've got to disagree 100% on this one. I can throw a beer together or I can throw together some dough and get in the ball park, but if I want to have consistent results, measurements must be made."

So you haven't tried different hops or different hops addition times than scheduled? I think you missed my point a bit. You can make slight changes in your brewing and get different results. You can bump up your Ibu's without adding more hops, but adding them at different times in the boil.

Brewing beer is an ongoing process that allows you to make changes to the batch much like cooking. Baking? Once it's in the oven, it's in the oven. Very hard to correct baking after the dough ball is formed and raised. Beer? Flexibility in changing the flavor profile even weeks after the boil.

Hope that clears my comments up for you.

Quick Reply