Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who else "won" Thanksgiving?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Kungpaodog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Who else "won" Thanksgiving?

Since we all know that Thanksgiving is a contest to be won or lost, who else won it? Or lost it?

I think I won, since my beer was about the only beverage that was consumed. There's always that voice in the back of your head saying "of course they SAY it's good, they're family." But with people going back for more, I think that's a good compliment.

And when I had people tell me "have you had these mashed potatoes? They are great!" I got to say "Why thank you, I made those Wasabe mashed potatoes." They seemed to be the talk of the night.
Try it some time, they really are damn good.

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So, whats the recipe for these "Wasabe Mashed Potatoes" you speak of?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
gregs765
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My father-in-law drinks Natural Light and hates most of my beers (except for last winter's pilsner), so I just kept it all at home for myself and drank their wine. My older daughter did mooch a 6-pack of my homebrew, though, noting one of her friends really liked the last batch I sent her way. So my parents and one of my kids likes my homebrew, so I guess I will put that in the "win" column.

Greg

Greg

Old 11-30-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
JPicasso
Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I didn't win Thanksgiving with beer. There was far too much else to drink, and only a couple of beer drinkers.

BUT!

The grilled turkey turned out better than any turkey I've had. Power to the grillmaster (that's me )

Old 11-30-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3511 Times on 3401 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I lost and I won. I was the only one present, besides SWMBO, who drinks anything other than Coors Light. Seeing as we didn't have any CL present, they went the wine route, as did SWMBO.

So, I lost in that nobody drank my beers. And I won in that nobody drank my beers.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i drove 4 full kegs, a newly constructed 4-tap jockey box, and all my brewing equipment 1000 miles in order to feed my friends and family with home brew and teach a group of people how to brew on there beginner kits.

I Win.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6199 Times on 5390 Posts
Likes Given: 770

I won - went to a get together with 7 kids between ages 8 months and 7 years old. Between the kids and food prep, all the adults were panicked about the gravy -- in fact they were stressing harder over the gravy than the kids and the rest of the dinner; apparently they messed up the gravy pretty bad last year and had NO EDIBLE GRAVY for Thanksgiving

Between sips on my homebrew (which they all loved), I casually mentioned that I'm the king of gravy and that they just need to leave the kitchen when the turkey's carved and potatoes are done, and I'll make the best gravy they've ever had. And sure enough, I truly am the king of gravy and have been invited back next year

Old 11-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Everyone adult at my house had my brew. Everyone had too much. I'd say I won, but my wife did with her amazing cooking. Now I'm drinking mostly commercial beer for the next few weeks.

I was down to may last six pack of Argentine Ambers and I thought they were to hoppy for the others. I'd put one in the back of the fridge and when I'd go back and it was gone--twice! It turns out my mother-in-law loves bitter beer and kept getting them before me.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
Christian
Recipes 

I don't like my in-laws so i bought Bud-Light and left the homebrew at home.

I really want the recipe to these wasabi mashed potatoes.

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #10
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like there were some big winners all around.

Another funny moment for me was my 78 year-old grandmother (she's still in great shape for her age), who I have never seen have more than a single glass of wine, asking for more of my pumpkin-spice red! Then she told me how she had a short lived obsession with making wine!! You've got to picture the traditional health-conscience, pie-making, all american grandma saying this to scratch your head like I did.

Per the requests, I give you Wasabi Mashed Potatoes:

1. Make Mashy 'Tatoes

2. Add wasabi

Really, that's it.

I'm sure there are variations, but I mashed mine with a bit of milk, butter, salt, white pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, and for the wasabi I used the dried stuff from King Soopers. Re-hydrate it so it blends in well. I flavor everything to taste without measuring, so just taste as you go. These go really well on a plate with herb-seared RARE tuna and something green (try asparagus, lemon sauteed spinach), but they were also damn good on turkey day!

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Quick Reply