Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who doesn't feel like bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Who doesn't feel like bottling?

Am I alone here, or is bottling day a big PITA? I have a batch that's ready to go (and, worse than that, I'm almost out of homebrew that's ready to drink), but I just don't feel like going through the whole sanitizing, filling, capping ordeal.

I don't have the funds right now to invest in a kegging system, so I guess I'm stuck.

The last time I bottled my father-in-law was here and we did it together. That made a big difference. He went back home to Louisiana, though. (Maybe I could fly him up here to help? )

I use my dishwasher to sanitize the bottles and it make a pretty good rack for them while they're waiting to be filled. A bottling wand was among my first brewing equipment acquisitions.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make bottling less tedious?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I have to say by far the best piece of equipment I have for bottling is the Super-Agata bench capper. It makes it go like lightning (at least the capping). It does help a huge bunch to have an assistant filling, that's for sure.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter
Am I alone here, or is bottling day a big PITA? I have a batch that's ready to go (and, worse than that, I'm almost out of homebrew that's ready to drink), but I just don't feel like going through the whole sanitizing, filling, capping ordeal.

I don't have the funds right now to invest in a kegging system, so I guess I'm stuck.

The last time I bottled my father-in-law was here and we did it together. That made a big difference. He went back home to Louisiana, though. (Maybe I could fly him up here to help? )

I use my dishwasher to sanitize the bottles and it make a pretty good rack for them while they're waiting to be filled. A bottling wand was among my first brewing equipment acquisitions.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make bottling less tedious?

The way I see it, it's just another part of the process that has great rewards. I grab a homebrew, turn up The Hold Steady, and crank 'em out. I actually kind of enjoy it...gives me time to ponder things. Things like, man, I can't wait until this beer is carbonated.

In my opinion, if you didn't come into this hobby ready to work, then you should just go buy a sixer off the shelf. Half of the joy of this hobby is the hours, the work, that you put into this, the sweat and blood (not literally), that come together to make a piece of art that you can be proud of.

The only time that I've gotten really frustrated was when I was straining the wort of my Pumpkin brew. I strain my stuff through a funnel with a screen on it...and stir it with a butterknife to keep the flow steady. Well, pumpkin solids kinda screw that up. I put on Dr. Strangelove on my iPod...and when the movie was over, and I realized that there was still about 6" of wort to be strained...THAT is frustration. But...at the end of the day, the beer tastes that much better because of the crap that I had to go through to make it.

So just enjoy it...even the tedious parts. Because, if making good beer was easy, then anyone could do it, and we wouldn't be the rock stars that we are.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Having a helper is huge.

My son sanitizes bottles while I siphon into the bottling bucket. Then he fills and I cap.

I have two batches to bottle this weekend. That would be a daunting task without help.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
the sweat and blood (not literally)
Have you ever made a SS braid for a mash tun? If those little wire bits get stuck in your hand while you're cutting and assembling it I can guarantee there's blood involved

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't like bottling either. It is a necessary evil. cleaning bottles, removing labels, drying bottles, then filling them and capping them is a pain. I would love to keg but I just can't do that right now.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could try putting SWMBO to work....so kegging it is.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
I don't like bottling either. It is a necessary evil. cleaning bottles, removing labels, drying bottles, then filling them and capping them is a pain. I would love to keg but I just can't do that right now.
Can you get the ghost to help?

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bottled last night...only 4 more batches to bottle...

Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter

?
It's really not that terribly expensive to keg. You can get a cornie for $18
You'll need a regulator. That will be your biggest expense, a dispenser, the hoses and cornie connectors are all fairly inexpensive as well. You'll save some money on sugar for bottle conditioning but you'll spend most of it on CO2.

Just don't make the mistake I made and pay for a brand new CO2 tank that will just be exchanged for an old one. From what I've now gathered you are better off renting a tank.

Look at it this way, what's your time worth? Especially if it's something you don't enjoy doing.

You can always get 1 part at the time until you have everything you need.

Quick Reply