Who came up with the idea of Miller 64???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carbs = 4 calories per gram
protein = 4 calories per gram
fat = 9 calories per gram
alcohol = 7 calories per gram

It doesn't matter the source, all calories count the same when it comes to being "fattening".

Thanks for the correction. I was working off of something vaguely remembered from a class I took hung over more than 10 years ago.

2.8% alcohol? Can you even get a buzz from that?

Dammit - I wish you didn't mention the Bud 55. Now I have to compare Bud Select 55 and Miller 64 to see which has the least taste. I'll do it for Science.

I am sorry for your taste buds. But please let us know how it turns out.

It's really about selling beer. Some States prohibit supermarkets and grocery stores from selling beer with an ABV above 3.2 ( LOW POINT BEER ).

So all this flavorless swill can be displayed and sold in thousands of places. I bet the manufacturers in those States spend tons of dough advertising and fight tooth and nail for every inch of shelf space trying to get the most exposure to the shoppers, with exposure comes sales and sales equals dollars.

OMO

bosco

It's really about selling beer. Some States prohibit supermarkets and grocery stores from selling beer with an ABV above 3.2 ( LOW POINT BEER ).

So all this flavorless swill can be displayed and sold in thousands of places. I bet the manufacturers in those States spend tons of dough advertising and fight tooth and nail for every inch of shelf space trying to get the most exposure to the shoppers, with exposure comes sales and sales equals dollars.

OMO

bosco

Low Point is 3.2 ABW

≈ 4.2 ABV

Use them as decoy beers for guests that don't have any better taste than that. I keep a few in the fridge for such occasions, I also do the same with cigars... Cheap smokes on the top for the guys that don't know the difference.

Alcohol, by itself, is non fattening by how it is metabolized. It is the adjuncts to the alcohol (fats and carbs) that cause alcoholic drinks to be "fattening".

Look it up. It's well known that alcohol does not increase weight gain. In fact, studies show that substituting alcohol calories for carbohydrate calories reduces weight gain compared to control groups.

This is absolutely incorrect. You body burns the alcohol as a priority since it has no place to store it. The alcohol is broken down and enters the Krebs cycle to create energy for the body. Since your body is burning alcohol, guess what it is not doing? It is not burning carbs, proteins, fats for fuel so those are being stored away as fat or being kept as fat reserves instead of being burnt. An alcohol calorie is just as "fattening" as any other calorie since your body will burn it as fuel. It makes no difference if there were any adjunct calories consumed with the alcohol.

As for the studies that you didn't cite, I'm guessing there isn't weight gain because of dehydration. On a short term time horizon, most weight gain and loss is simply water fluctuation in the body. Everyone knows alcohol has a dehydrating affect. Carbohydrate restriction also has a dehydrating affect so it is likely a double whammy. It is one of the reasons there is often rapid weight loss on a low-carb diet. The studies shouldn't measure weight gain/loss, but rather fat gain/loss which is much harder to do. If they would or could measure fat rather than weight, they would find no difference between the diet with carbohydrates or alcohol.

Was it Miller 64 or Michelob Ultra that has that commercial now that plays the song "My body tells me no, but I won't quit cause I want more". Doesn't: 1) This seem like its advocating bad drinknig habits and binge drinking. 2) Make you think that their beer is that bad that your body does not want you to drink it anymore?

For what it's worth... I have a friend who is diabetic and he drinks Michelob ultra (preferred), miller 64, and BMC because they are low carb and therefore he can drink all night.

So... Gift them to a diabetic friend?

Back