*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who brews all they drink? Who still buys beer?
View Poll Results: How much do you brew vs. how much do you buy?
I only drink what I brew 23 7.19%
I buy some beer, but mostly drink homebrew 162 50.63%
It's about 50/50 110 34.38%
I mostly drink storebought beer, with homebrew when I want to treat myself 25 7.81%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
shortyjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Who brews all they drink? Who still buys beer?

So, I got into this in late August. I went straight to kegging, with the intention of only drinking what I brew.

I've managed to not go to the liquor store for beer at all since Sept 1. So far my plan is working. I brew 5 gal each week, (with occasional 10 gal weeks).

Just wondering...how much beer do you buy vs. make?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

When I am at home I almost exclusively drink homebrew but a lot of my drinking is done in bars where I'm obviously not drinking homebrew so I answered 50/50. When I go to friends houses I will often bring some homebrew but will also sometimes just pick up some craft brew on the way.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Brewing constantly can be a bit of a grind and really cuts in to my weekend. I'm trying to brew more 10 gal batches so I get more out of each brew day, but there are lapses and I will often go to the store for some brews. Not to mention I love trying new beers and finding out what I might want to try making next.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 11-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It's hard not to buy craft beer that I have loved for a long time just because I make beer. Usually it is only a 6 pack every 3 weeks or so though. The rest is homebrew.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
sambogi76
Recipes 

I like to buy sometimes to try different kinds... i dont have any one around that i know that brews, would be nice though, to have more variety. but i am the only one who drinks in my house so 5 gal goes along way so i dont have much variety in my own brews, about 3 types in any given time.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I almost never buy bottles of beer. Typically I only buy when I travel out of state and usually in the name of research, seeking out examples of styles I'm going to brew.

Friends will occasionally bring over a 6 pack of something, and it typically will sit for a good while. I hate to admit it, but I'm now mostly too lazy to want to bother with opening a bottle. Instead I can just walk over and have my choice of 4 beers on tap. Why would I bother grabbing a bottle and opening it, and then pour it into a glass? I mean, that's like 10 seconds I could have been drinking!

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

If anything, homebrewing has caused me to buy more commercial beer. I have 2 taps in my kegerator. I cant pass up the huge selection at the local stores.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It depends on my pipeline, mostly...if I am well stocked I will usually drink mostly mine, but maybe pick up a couple bombers if I am in the mood for something that I don't have. But like now, pipeline is low becasue I didn't get to brew much this summer, and most of what I have is the wit and the saison I did get to brew, I am now in the mood for more heavier beers....and IPAs, so it's been buying.

To me there are just too many great beers out there not to want to try them..Plus like I said, sometimes I just want something different than what I have on hand.

One thing I do is I go to places that do mixed 6'ers of craft beer. That way I can explore different versions of a favorite style and to stretch my beervocbulary by trying new ones. That way it give me more ideas for future brews. It was doing that that I discovered that I like Belgian Wits last year after they had a couple hoegaardens in the mixed sixer fridge.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
craigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I drink to much and brew to little. 1/3 homebrew 2/3 commercial. I have a keggerator and a pool, so in the summer we go thru 15.5 gal of beer every other week. I don't have enough kegs yet to keep up with the drinking. I also have to go to 10 gal batches.

Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers homebrew club (KGB)

Old 11-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Stoopidwon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I drink probable 6 home brews to every 1 store bought...I havnt bought anything but pop top bottles since I started brewing. So I guess I am buying the bottles for my personal use, and I've gotta do something with the ber inside, right????

Mad One Legged Hopps Brewing
ON DECK:Shae-dy-day Brown, Outmeal Stout

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY 1:

SECONDARY 2:

BOTTLED: Irish Red, Copper Ale (2), Hanks Hefeweizen (2), Yakima Blonde, Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply