New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White Labs Sanfrancisco Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
bratrules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarthe View Post
I have to disagree with the point that San Fran lager yeast is too fruity. I have used it a couple times, fermented at about 62 degrees, and the beers came out great. one was a cali common, the other was an American lager. neither one had fruitiness from the yeast. I did lager for a few weeks after primary fermentation, at about 35 degrees. It is actually the yeast I have had the best results with when making lagers. I have also used White labs American Lager strain, which was fruity, and White Labs Budejovice strain, which for some reason killed off all the hop aroma in the beer I made with it, as well as Wyeast 2112 cali lager, which worked almost as good as the San Fran yeast.
+1 as I stated above I fermented it around 50 degrees and I got no fruity tones what so ever. Btw I used it in a helles. And I did pitch a large starter also.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratrules View Post
+1 as I stated above I fermented it around 50 degrees and I got no fruity tones what so ever. Btw I used it in a helles. And I did pitch a large starter also.
Yes, but at 50 degrees, that's lager fermentation temperatures. I'm pretty sure we're talking about fermenting at ale temperatures. That's a huge difference.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Yes, but at 50 degrees, that's lager fermentation temperatures. I'm pretty sure we're talking about fermenting at ale temperatures. That's a huge difference.
Very true Yooper 10 degrees of temp does make a big difference. In a earlier post on this thread I did state if fermenting at ale temps I would stick to brewing a California common.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #14
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I agree with the experience that lagers come out great with this yeast. I did a 6% American Pilsner with 6-row malt and lagered for 12 weeks at 32F. It is spectacular and very "lager" in characteristics. I primaried at about 60 F.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Drinking a Cali common made to style presently using the san fran yeasties. Wouldn't describe anything as fruity. Temp was out of the standard lager range at around 63 or so. Personally I think this yeast benefits from some lagering time bringing out a crispness generally associated with a lager.

Quick Reply