Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #781
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 636
Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

So I started my go at this recipe after most folks--brewed in late November, bottled after two weeks, started drinking it just before the New Year.

IMO, this beer is terrific--I'm not sure what little tweaks others did in converting to AG, but I added a little biscuit malt, used a cascade/willamette hop schedule and WLP007, and it's sooo tasty. Nice and malty (I mashed at 154F) but not sweet, balanced hop aroma/flavor and the honey (I used local clover honey) is evident in both aroma and flavor. It really gives a nice dry finish to the beer. And it's SO crystal clear, it looks like I used gelatin to knock down the yeast. I don't have a pic yet, but will try to remember to take one next time I pour.

OK, so it's nothing terribly special--no double-dry hopped, oaked, bourbon infused, cherry vanilla etc. etc. stuff, and it's only around 5% ABV. But I don't much go in for the extreme stuff anyway. Bottom line, this beer came out really well, it might be entering my starting rotation in the future! Will definitely brew again.

__________________
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;
jerrodm is offline
Pappers_ Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #782
alestateyall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 735
Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm
So I started my go at this recipe after most folks--brewed in late November, bottled after two weeks, started drinking it just before the New Year.

IMO, this beer is terrific--I'm not sure what little tweaks others did in converting to AG, but I added a little biscuit malt, used a cascade/willamette hop schedule and WLP007, and it's sooo tasty. Nice and malty (I mashed at 154F) but not sweet, balanced hop aroma/flavor and the honey (I used local clover honey) is evident in both aroma and flavor. It really gives a nice dry finish to the beer. And it's SO crystal clear, it looks like I used gelatin to knock down the yeast. I don't have a pic yet, but will try to remember to take one next time I pour.

OK, so it's nothing terribly special--no double-dry hopped, oaked, bourbon infused, cherry vanilla etc. etc. stuff, and it's only around 5% ABV. But I don't much go in for the extreme stuff anyway. Bottom line, this beer came out really well, it might be entering my starting rotation in the future! Will definitely brew again.
No offense, but, if you changed the hops and changed the yeast, is it really White House Honey Ale?
__________________
alestateyall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #783
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 636
Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Oh, tomato, tomato. I made a honey pale ale or whatever you want to call it, which I wouldn't have if the White House staff didn't do it first. I'll definitely still think of it as the WHHA.

__________________
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;
jerrodm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #784
coastwx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 255
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I ended up brewing this so it would be carbed and ready by early Nov. Not an exact clone as I did not have amber malt and used aromatic instead. I used my own honey from a June 2012 harvest (mostly poplar). Absolutely delicious ale. I've not used much honey in brewing yet, but heard somewhere that little honey flavor remains after fermentation. This beer changed that thought. I use my honey in coffee every morning. The honey came through nicely, but not dominant. The fuggles and kent goldings was a nice change as I've mostly stuck to American citrus hops. I was very pleased.

__________________
coastwx is offline
mlgtrumpet Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #785
mlgtrumpet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Likes Given: 5

Default

Hey everyone,

I have my first batch of Honey Ale in the primary since I started on Saturday -- using the extract kit from NB.

Just a quick survey: How long did you end up leaving in primary? Did anyone use a secondary or just go right to bottle, and how long did you condition before popping it open?

Cheers, Matt

__________________
mlgtrumpet is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #786
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,256
Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgtrumpet View Post
Just a quick survey: How long did you end up leaving in primary? Did anyone use a secondary or just go right to bottle, and how long did you condition before popping it open?

Cheers, Matt
hi matt

"how long" will vary, because fermentations vary. it will be faster or slower depending on temperature, amount of viable yeast pitched, fermentability of the wort, etc. in general you'll want to wait 2 week at a minimum, with 3 weeks being safer.

if you have a hydrometer, take a reading on day 14, then take another on day 17. if they are identical, then fermentation is complete and you're ready to bottle.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table. Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #787
mlgtrumpet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
hi matt

"how long" will vary, because fermentations vary. it will be faster or slower depending on temperature, amount of viable yeast pitched, fermentability of the wort, etc. in general you'll want to wait 2 week at a minimum, with 3 weeks being safer.

if you have a hydrometer, take a reading on day 14, then take another on day 17. if they are identical, then fermentation is complete and you're ready to bottle.
Thanks! Just wondering what rate other people were fermenting at. It's only been 3 days and I can hardly stand it. Need to go purchase another fermenter this weekend so I can get started on my second brew.

M
__________________
mlgtrumpet is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #788
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,256
Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgtrumpet View Post
It's only been 3 days and I can hardly stand it. Need to go purchase another fermenter this weekend so I can get started on my second brew.
THAT is how you handle it. welcome to the obsession
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table. Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
sweetcell is offline
mlgtrumpet Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #789
chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Catonsville, Maryland
Posts: 117
Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

I left mine in primary for about 4 weeks, and did not secondary. I got impatient and tried it 2 weeks after bottling, but it wasn't truly ready for another 2 weeks.

__________________
chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #790
robotgas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I've found that adding a week to everything (above what the directions call for,) makes a huge difference in taste. Set aside a few bottles to taste one a week to see for yourself. Patience really is a virtue!

__________________
robotgas is offline
Mattums Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS