New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #741
MtnHiBrewin
MtnHiBrewin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

As edds5p0 said, while my W.H. honey porter was young, the honey and malt flavor was strong. After aging a couple of weeks, the honey flavor was pretty much gone and it was more "porter like". (edds5p0 is on page 73)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #742
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My version of this beer has just "calmed" down recently; I used S-04 instead of Windsor, however. As is my wont, I drank it a bit green and it was really, really fruity due to the yeasty pour/greenness. It's really backed off to being extremely bready and toasty. I'm not sure its really my thing, but then again, I'm not really a huge fan of bitters in the first place and I don't know how much I like drying out a bitter with honey like this. I used a crystallized orange blossom honey (which will thus still have some waxes and such in there) and I feel like I can taste a waxy aftertaste, but I'm not quite certain if this is in my mind.

Overall, I will say its not really one of my favorte brews I've done. I did it to be a part of the zeitgeist, but I find myself wishing I had spent that brew day making something more my style.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #743
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Attached are pictures of the White House Honey Ale and bottle as served at the Golden Triangle Brewers Christmas party. The beer was well received.

img_0463.jpg
White House Honey Ale in pint glass given to all party attendees by Mitchell Distributing Company.

img_0462.jpg
Another angle.

img_0461.png
Label made by my lovely SWMBO.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #744
chicken
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Just bottled my White House Honey Ale today. Honey flavor is quite evident. I did not boil the honey, but added it at flame out. There's an almost harsh bitterness, but I'm hoping that will smooth out.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #745
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Bottled a few today for friends and family who, let's say, are very biased towards this beer. I'm sure they will loooove it. Actually it's really good even though it's a recipe I would pick. I provided a few notes before: basically English ale but slightly overshadowed by honey flavor and drying /elevated alcohol effect. Brewed 11/9 kegged 11/27.

Anyway I think the bombers and beer are good looking:

Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #746
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Glad you're enjoying the beer. Just wanted to add my two-cents that Windsor is generally a pretty good flocculater and my experience is that it forms a nice compact and stable cake. There are lots of variables, though, which could explain why my experience with Windsor is different than yours.
Agreed--I've always had good luck with Windsor, although I do use a secondary and cold crash it. YMMV.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #747
jerrodm
Recipes 

Update on my own WHHA: bottled yesterday, it tasted delish--I'm surprised at how mature it tastes after only two weeks in the primary. Was going to secondary but it was so clear and tasted so good I decided to go straight to bottles. The honey is present but not overpowering, and I really like the hop profile--maybe like an ESB, with pronounced bittering and not too heavy on the aroma. Mmm, tasty! Can't wait for it to carb up.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #748
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Just brewed the whitehouse honey porter yesterday the color and wort tasted especially sweet-- will update back in two weeks when I bottle.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #749
Ben_D
Recipes 

Default Bad batch

so due to the fact that about 3 pounds of malt was forgot and replaced with 1.5 pounds of brown sugar, as some of you have reported, it tastes just like alcohol. No honey or sweet brown sugar, just the faintest malt and taste of alcohol. Everything was great beyond that in regard to color, body, and carbonation. maybe next time I should read the recipe better. Hopefully the batch of IPA I have going now will be better.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #750
jerrodm
Recipes 

Bummer Ben. Yup, you can ferment just about any sugars, but it doesn't mean it's going to make a tasty drink at the end of the day. I tried to tell that to a buddy of mine who insists on adding like 6-7 lbs. of additional fermentables (table sugar, molasses, brown sugar, honey) to his ciders. They just end up tasting like weak moonshine.

But, live and learn. Do you think it would be worth it to brew something complimentary and blend them? I've done that in the past with pretty good results. I've actually got a spiced Christmas Ale right now that I'm not too happy with--it ended up WAY over spiced for some reason, and I'm thinking about doing that. In your case, you could brew a big malty amber ale, or something like that, and blend the two together to make a better beer.

Whisky makers do it all the time, why shouldn't we?

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Quick Reply