Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #731
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 923 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beervangelist View Post
I'm not sure what all the excitement is about. Politics is not an ingredient in beer.
I think its remarkable that, in a person's lifetime, we have gone from prohibition to the White House Chefs making homemade beer. I call that progress (and exciting).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #732
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I think its remarkable that, in a person's lifetime, we have gone from prohibition to the White House Chefs making homemade beer. I call that progress (and exciting).
Yup, not much more to it than that. Plus, it's cool to brew the same beer as someone famous, politician or no. If you found out Sir Sean Connery brewed his own wee heavy, are you telling me you wouldn't be interested in trying out his recipe? Or if historians unearthed the Wright bros' secret family recipe for Windy Day Porter*? I don't think it says much about peoples' politics that they're interested, just that they're interested in beer.

Cheers

*As far as I'm aware, this doesn't exist.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #733
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

slight variation on the above: the recipes have become a collective experience, as illustrated by the 74 pages of this thread (and numerous other threads, on this board and elsewhere). it's fin to think that people across this country (and likely around the world) are brewing these recipes. even non-brewers have asked me if i've brewed the white house beer, so word is getting out.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #734
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 164

For as much press as it's gotten, oddly enough, the couple people I talked to in my homebrew club hadn't heard about it.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #735
DaBills
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabills View Post
yeah i know kinda sad isn't it. Beer is beer is beer, no added politics necessary.
:d

Go Bills!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #736
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBills View Post
:d
Lol you smile at such a comment when you were like the first one to 'go there.' Wow hehe....

Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #737
MrBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breweringbeaz View Post
I'm reading a lot of reviews regarding the whitehouse honey ale-- has anyone brewed or tried the honey porter?
Oh yes the honey porter was a huge hit at Thanksgiving. It needs time in the bottle. After 2 weeks of conditioning I detected a bitterness in the finish that has diminished with time. Thanksgiving, 5 weeks, was fine. Lovely chocolate notes though I couldn't detect much honey (added at 30 mins.).

The bitterness may have been my over-hopping. The recipe called for 3/4 ounce of hops. I said "what the heck" and put in my full ounce packet.

Will brew again.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #738
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

After 3 weeks, I am calling my honey ale finished. It is very sweet with honey flavor, but not cloying. The finish is bitter, but it also brings the floral quality of the honey out in a pleasant way. This beer is rich, probably the most full bodied one I've brewed. I am glad I chose local wildflower honey as it really showcases the flavors from the honey. I will probably never use Windsor again as it is about impossible to keep out of the pour without leaving a considerable amount of beer in the bottle. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this brew.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #739
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 923 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by edds5p0 View Post
. . .I will probably never use Windsor again as it is about impossible to keep out of the pour without leaving a considerable amount of beer in the bottle. . .
Glad you're enjoying the beer. Just wanted to add my two-cents that Windsor is generally a pretty good flocculater and my experience is that it forms a nice compact and stable cake. There are lots of variables, though, which could explain why my experience with Windsor is different than yours.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #740
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1422 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post

Glad you're enjoying the beer. Just wanted to add my two-cents that Windsor is generally a pretty good flocculater and my experience is that it forms a nice compact and stable cake. There are lots of variables, though, which could explain why my experience with Windsor is different than yours.
I've used Windsor for this beer and this beer only, but i know other English yeasts (Wyeast West Yorkshire comes to mind) that are normally great flocculaters sometimes refuse to drop out

Up Next: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: Best Bitter
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Quick Reply