Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #701
alestateyall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup
This is an American beer, but I could see doing it English style like the President's staff did. They just don't understand the basics of beer styles, and it is to be expected of noobs.
Styles are meant to be broken. I went another direction. I tried to reproduce their recipe exactly, including brewing the extract version. I wanted to drink the same beer as the President and the Medal of Honor winner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #702
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3141 Times on 1962 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
My favorite part of the whole experience was seeing the picture of the President and a guy drinking a glass on the White House lawn. That guy was a Medal of Honor winner. How cool is that? It is time that our veterans get the recognition they have always deserved.
Hear hear.

I didn't vote for him, but nonetheless it would be an incredible honor to sit on that lawn and have a homebrew with the man. I can't even imagine it.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #703
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
I ruined mine because I added WAY too much gypsum to the mash (3 TBS). Entirely my fault. Otherwise, this would have been a great beer. The excessive sulphates gave it a terrible phenolic taste. I had to dump it after drinking about half a gallon. I will definitely do this again, and use S-05 as before. This is an American beer, but I could see doing it English style like the President's staff did. They just don't understand the basics of beer styles, and it is to be expected of noobs.
My favorite part of the whole experience was seeing the picture of the President and a guy drinking a glass on the White House lawn. That guy was a Medal of Honor winner. How cool is that? It is time that our veterans get the recognition they have always deserved.
I made it with S-04 and didn't add any gypsum. I didn't have the high alcohol level that seatbelt123 had. I used about 11 lbs of malt and a lb of honey for 5.2% abv. It turned out pretty tasty.

And I agree about the MOH recipient and the Prez.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #704
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I ruined mine because I added WAY too much gypsum to the mash (3 TBS). Entirely my fault. Otherwise, this would have been a great beer. The excessive sulphates gave it a terrible phenolic taste. I had to dump it after drinking about half a gallon. I will definitely do this again, and use S-05 as before. This is an American beer, but I could see doing it English style like the President's staff did. They just don't understand the basics of beer styles, and it is to be expected of noobs.
Yes, I (and I suspect many others) "Americanized" the beer, using Am. 2-row instead of MO and US hop varieties (Cascade and Willamette) rather than British. I did use an English yeast (WLP007), just because it's my favorite ale yeast and I wanted to start with that as a benchmark, though I may try US-05 next time if I brew it again.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #705
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar View Post
Styles are meant to be broken. I went another direction. I tried to reproduce their recipe exactly, including brewing the extract version. I wanted to drink the same beer as the President and the Medal of Honor winner.
I definitely agree that styles should not be carved in stone. If I had done mine as an English, though (and that recipe IS English), I'd have called it that.
My all grain translation included All American ingredients. American 2-Row, American Hops, and American yeast.
I am a big fan of the English styles, too. I might try the exact recipe like keehar.

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #706
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm reading a lot of reviews regarding the whitehouse honey ale-- has anyone brewed or tried the honey porter?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #707
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Would Tettnanger and Willamete hops work for this? I have plenty on hand

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #708
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts

I'll be getting to the porter soon. Would have brewed it first but SWMBO wanted the lighter one. Have to keep her happy--she doesn't complain about all the money I spend, so I brew enough SWMBO-friendly beers to keep her supplied. Works out well.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #709
breweringbeaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm
I'll be getting to the porter soon. Would have brewed it first but SWMBO wanted the lighter one. Have to keep her happy--she doesn't complain about all the money I spend, so I brew enough SWMBO-friendly beers to keep her supplied. Works out well.
I understand that's why I have a pale ale fermenting vs a brown ale. But the honey porter is my next on deck beer I think.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #710
Ben_D
Recipes 

Default the guy who messed up...

I'm the one that misread the recipe and missed 3.3 pounds of malt and substituted it with 1.5 pounds of brown sugar. bottled today and i have no real complaints. the alcohol taste wasn't to bad it was overrun by some serious sweetness from the honey and brown sugar, not much malty taste to it however. I'll be back in a couple of weeks to give the final tasting notes. Thanks to those providing insight to my mistake.

Quick Reply