Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #691
hoppybrewster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehaar
I am trying my version tonight. It is good. I taste honey up front then a malty sweet finish. Mild fruity hops flavor. I don't get any alcohol taste. It is a pretty heavy beer.

OG 1060
FG 1017

I used wildflower honey from a local bee keeper. The honey was awesome by itself.

I used caramel 60 for the "amber crystal malt."

It seems darker than the pictures from the video. iBrewmaster estimates 10 SRM which seems about right.
You describe my result to a "T". I thought I did something wrong. Lots of honey upfront, sweet, malty heavy finish. Not really fond of it. Gonna let it sit for a couple of months in the basement. What do you think?

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benny Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #692
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What's so special about White House Beer?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #693
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybrewster

You describe my result to a "T". I thought I did something wrong. Lots of honey upfront, sweet, malty heavy finish. Not really fond of it. Gonna let it sit for a couple of months in the basement. What do you think?
I think it's ok for what it is. Not too much to it really. But drinkable. It was fun to brew the same recipe as the white house. But I will go back to my usual styles now.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #694
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2028

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
Within a person's lifespan, we have gone from Prohibition to the White House Chefs making handmade beer. I call that progress.

http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Wh...Honey-Ale.html
chipsah Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #695
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2028

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybrewster View Post
Here's my tasting notes http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Th...ey-ale-tasting

A few weeks ago, we invited a group of friends over to brew a beer based on the White House Honey Ale recipe - you can see the recipe, view a White House video and read more about it here. Although it is still relatively young, tonight, I sat down with a glass and wrote down some tasting notes.

Aroma: Honey is prevalent, with jasmine and lavender elements, perfume-like; malt and hops aroma, if present, are overwhelmed by the honey.

Appearance: Deep copper with gold highlights; white head that dissipates and leaves good lacing; some haze, you can see through but it is not brillantly clear; it might be 'chill haze' which would go away if refrigerated for a few days.

Flavor: While the malt and hops were not apparent in the aroma, they do come through in the flavor; they are balanced, with good hop bitterness, as in a good English pale ale; honey flavor is also apparent, very pleasant, again with a lavender or jasmine element, not cloying; there is an underlying earthiness, which might be from either the honey or the English hops, or both.

Mouthfeel: Some alcohol warmth, but not fusel or 'hot'; medium bodied but with an easy-to-drink dryness to it.

Overall Impression: The honey-character of this beer is apparent from the first sniff and on through tasting; it gives the overall impression of an English pale ale but with significant honey aroma and flavor; it is dry and easy-to-drink, but the honey gives an impression of sweetness and fullness, which isn't really there.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #696
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Overall Impression: The honey-character of this beer is apparent from the first sniff and on through tasting; it gives the overall impression of an English pale ale but with significant honey aroma and flavor; it is dry and easy-to-drink, but the honey gives an impression of sweetness and fullness, which isn't really there.

That is pretty much my impression of it, Pappers.

I made an all-gain version and I have it on tap. Mine is more of a golden color and is not near as clear as my other beers. I thought it might clear after it was in the keezer for a while, but that has not happened.

I have enjoyed it much more than I thought I would and will brew it again

Edit: And... I think it is really cool that they are brewing beer in the White House.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #697
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_

Here's my tasting notes http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Th...ey-ale-tasting

A few weeks ago, we invited a group of friends over to brew a beer based on the White House Honey Ale recipe - you can see the recipe, view a White House video and read more about it here. Although it is still relatively young, tonight, I sat down with a glass and wrote down some tasting notes.

Aroma: Honey is prevalent, with jasmine and lavender elements, perfume-like; malt and hops aroma, if present, are overwhelmed by the honey.

Appearance: Deep copper with gold highlights; white head that dissipates and leaves good lacing; some haze, you can see through but it is not brillantly clear; it might be 'chill haze' which would go away if refrigerated for a few days.

Flavor: While the malt and hops were not apparent in the aroma, they do come through in the flavor; they are balanced, with good hop bitterness, as in a good English pale ale; honey flavor is also apparent, very pleasant, again with a lavender or jasmine element, not cloying; there is an underlying earthiness, which might be from either the honey or the English hops, or both.

Mouthfeel: Some alcohol warmth, but not fusel or 'hot'; medium bodied but with an easy-to-drink dryness to it.

The lavender and jasmine (or any specific flower smells/tastes) is what I don't get in my version. I know that will vary with the honey used but I had hoped for some of that in mine. Mine tastes and smells more like generic honey. I did get some flowery tastes in the raw honey I used but I don't think it translated to the beer.

I also wonder if I have some extract twang. This is the first extract beer I have brewed in a long time and it tastes like what I remember from extract beers.

But, I am not much of a beer judge.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #698
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
1. it's from the white house.
2. it's become a communal experience, as 51 pages of comments here - and numerous other threads - illustrate.

the recipe itself is nothing life-shattering, although reviews have been generally positive.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #699
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Here's my first pour. I'm happily surprised by this beer. How about that gorgeous head?!

I did the all grain recipe. It will definitely clear in a few days. As a CGVT mentioned above, this beer is characterized by two traits: It's an English ale with Honey. From the Maris Otter and British yeast you get nice bready/nutty and floral/estery notes. And from the honey, a unique aroma and flavor (and alcohol). If anything, my only criticism with this first pour is the elevated alcohol level for the given grain bill - not quite balanced (you might be fine with that, it's just not my preference).

A few quick notes about brewing and fermentation: I did this using my single vessel electric BIAB rig. Brewed this on 11/9 using Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast (about a 1L stir plate starter). Fermented at about 65F (wort temp) in my fridge for 10 days, plus a few days of diacetyl rest at about 70. Crash cooled at about 34F for 4 days and kegged today.

I chose to brew this because I'm hosting 4 of favorite family member who LOVE Obama. They are going to drink a lot of this!

Cool project. Nice to see the community give it a shot.

Cheers!

image-589291301.jpg  

Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #700
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I ruined mine because I added WAY too much gypsum to the mash (3 TBS). Entirely my fault. Otherwise, this would have been a great beer. The excessive sulphates gave it a terrible phenolic taste. I had to dump it after drinking about half a gallon. I will definitely do this again, and use S-05 as before. This is an American beer, but I could see doing it English style like the President's staff did. They just don't understand the basics of beer styles, and it is to be expected of noobs.
My favorite part of the whole experience was seeing the picture of the President and a guy drinking a glass on the White House lawn. That guy was a Medal of Honor winner. How cool is that? It is time that our veterans get the recognition they have always deserved.

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

passedpawn Likes This 

Quick Reply