New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #681
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
One way to calculate is to take the difference in gravities and multiply by 131.25.

(OG-FG) x 131.25 = ABV

1.060-1.018 = 0.042 x 131.25 = 5.51% ABV

Cheers
being lazy, i let a website do the math for me

http://pint.com.au/calculators/alcohol/ tells me 1.060 --> 1.018 = 5.45% ABV.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #682
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
I brewed the White House ale from Northern Brewer on 10/31. Used a yeast starter and had healthy fermentation for a few days and no more bubbles for at least a week. The temperature was at the low end for the yeast, which is 64F, which I was around or a little higher for the first several days then it got cold and basement dropped to 63F. I wanted to check the gravity but I broke my hydrometer this weekend Got to my LHBS on Monday and got a new one and the gravity is at 1.020. I measured Tuesday and got the same 1.020. Northern said the FG should be about 1.007 - 1.014. There was also a healthy head of krausen on top too when I first took the gravity on Monday and it was less, but still there on Tuesday. I did move it to my dining room, which keeps it around 68F on Monday evening. There has been very slow air lock activity.

I wanted to move the beer to secondary so I could reuse the White House ale yeast to brew a milk stout which I plan to put in a used whiskey barrel. Due to vacations coming up (thanksgiving and xmas), I really wanted to brew yesterday reusing the yeast but I decided to just use the dry yeast that came with the kit because I figured my fermentation was stuck and I didn't want to use questionable yeast. So I'll probably just leave the honey ale in primary until I get back from vacation so it will probably be in primary for about 4 weeks. I will probably take a couple gravity readings before bottling just to see where it's at, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be done by then.
1.020 is a bit high but it is not the end of the world. Just make sure to read the gravity again and confirm the gravity has stopped changing. If the gravity is stable you can safely bottle at 1.020 and the beer will still be great.

You don't need to secondary. Leaving the beer in primary longer has the same effect.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #683
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Thanks for the info. I only was going to move to secondary so I could reuse the yeast in another beer that I needed to brew now. Now that I'm not reusing the yeast, it will primary for about a month, just like the 10 gallons of White House honey porter I made.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #684
seedubxj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sent you a completely unrelated PM colincbn.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #685
MtnHiBrewin
MtnHiBrewin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I rarely move anything to a secondary. Every now and then, but not often. My White House Porter stayed in the primary 19 days, and turned out great.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #686
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiBrewin
I rarely move anything to a secondary. Every now and then, but not often. My White House Porter stayed in the primary 19 days, and turned out great.
My only reasons for secondary are 1) to free up a primary fermenter and 2) I'm rather clumsy when it comes to the trub cake while racking so the less of it there is the clearer my beer gets. Not that I really care about clarity.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #687
Ben_D
Recipes 

SO, fun day here, Trying to make this honey porter and i miss read the recipe (i thought there was only 3.3 pounds of malt, not 2 cans of 3.3 pounds ) so in a frantic search for a solution i used approximately 1.5 pounds of brown sugar. may be an interesting result. any ideas on what i can expect. I am more than happy to share the results if anyone is interested.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #688
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_D View Post
in a frantic search for a solution i used approximately 1.5 pounds of brown sugar. may be an interesting result. any ideas on what i can expect.
the beer will be quite dry (the opposite of sweet), and it will be low on maltiness. you will likely taste the alcohol a little more. the brown sugar should give a subtle caramel flavor, especially if you happened to used dark brown sugar (the typical stuff you bake with is light brown sugar).

3.3 pounds of LME has the same potential as approx 2.75 lb of brown sugar. so technically you needed to add another 1.25 pounds to get back to the same point. however it was a good thing that you limited yourself to 1.5, going with 2.75 would have been too much. my suggestion: if you can, get a pound or a pound and a half of dried extract, boil it in a little water to sterilize it, and add it to your fermenter. liquid will also work, but unless your LHBS sells it in bulk it can be annoying to open a can, use some, then need to re-seal and keep for another brew day. also, it's bad for freshness if you aren't going to brew again soon. DME does a better job of sitting on the shelf.

whatever you do (including leaving it as-is), let us know how it turns out.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #689
Ben_D
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback brotha. It's bubbling nicely now and tasted good (sweet with a good roasted flavor, i had to use 40l crystal malt btw) before i put in the yeast so hopefully it maintains some of that flavor. I'm going to just let it go and see what happens. Call me hopeful. I will keep updating.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #690
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am trying my version tonight. It is good. I taste honey up front then a malty sweet finish. Mild fruity hops flavor. I don't get any alcohol taste. It is a pretty heavy beer.

OG 1060
FG 1017

I used wildflower honey from a local bee keeper. The honey was awesome by itself.

I used caramel 60 for the "amber crystal malt."

It seems darker than the pictures from the video. iBrewmaster estimates 10 SRM which seems about right.

Quick Reply