Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #671
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by azntaiji
Awesome, this is great info. Also, I used the dry yeast - when is the usual optimal temperature to pitch the yeast?

I'm going to check the calibration of my Hydrometer, which is something I should have done.
I've never used Windsor, but I've seen several folks claiming disappointing attenuation (like mid 60%). So your situation may not be unexpected.

As far as pitching temps it depends on the yeast, but generally you want to pitch at temps no higher than where you intend to ferment. Yeast manufacturers will give a temp range for their yeast. Where you want to ferment in that range depends on what qualities you want to accentuate (or subdue). It can be good practice to pitch a few degrees cooler and gradually warm to where you want to be, especially if your not wanting lots of fruity esters or harsh alcohols . The flavor profile of your beer is largely determined in the first 24 to 48 hours of fermentation. So at this point raising the temp to high 60's wont hurt anything and might help your attenuation.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #672
wilbr11
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I ended up with a FG at 1.018. Is this high for this? I'm wondering where I missed, just bottled last night tasted okay, just a bit green. Had an OG of 1.060 so not sure where that puts my ABV. This is my first 5 gallon batch, had done 3 Mr. Beer batches before this... Followed Recipe exactly with the kit from my LHBS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #673
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah and Al Gore invented the internet! hahaha lol

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #674
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbr11
I ended up with a FG at 1.018. Is this high for this? I'm wondering where I missed, just bottled last night tasted okay, just a bit green. Had an OG of 1.060 so not sure where that puts my ABV.
One way to calculate is to take the difference in gravities and multiply by 131.25.

(OG-FG) x 131.25 = ABV

1.060-1.018 = 0.042 x 131.25 = 5.51% ABV

Cheers

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
-Bob Dylan

Primary: -
Secondary: -
Bottled: Ex-Pat 1800 English IPA
Drinking: Black IPA, Hoppiness is an IPA, Port O' Palmer Robust Porter, Nae Foolish Wee Heavy, Devil's Milk barley wine

Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #675
wilbr11
Recipes 

Thank you so much for the formula! Is this around what everyone else is getting? So glad I found this forum!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #676
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
possibility #1 is your most likely explanation. when doing a partial boil and then topping up, it is difficult to get the sweet sugar-water and the plain water to mix properly. getting a higher than expected gravity reading is quite common because you pull for the denser, sugar-ier water
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I hope to move to full boils at some point (sooner than later with luck). It's an ever-evolving learning process, and fantastic.

Cheers!

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
-Bob Dylan

Primary: -
Secondary: -
Bottled: Ex-Pat 1800 English IPA
Drinking: Black IPA, Hoppiness is an IPA, Port O' Palmer Robust Porter, Nae Foolish Wee Heavy, Devil's Milk barley wine

Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #677
JonnyG77
Recipes 

Default White House Honey Porter Green Taste

Just finished kegging my first batch of WH Honey porter. It smelled delicious so I decided to taste the "green" beer. The initial taste was about what I would expect. I could taste hops and honey but the after taste was really bitter. Is this normal? Just wondering if anybody else noticed this. Only my 4th time brewing and I'm worried the taste is jeopardized.

Also I should point out that during primary fermentation I had to bleed off some of the foam because it was so active. To do this I had to move the batch to my living room where it got some light exposure. I tried to minimize this by covering the carboy in a blanket. I've heard light exposure causes a skunky flavor. It definately did not have that taste. Just very bitter.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks and brew on!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #678
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbr11
I ended up with a FG at 1.018. Is this high for this? I'm wondering where I missed, just bottled last night tasted okay, just a bit green. Had an OG of 1.060 so not sure where that puts my ABV. This is my first 5 gallon batch, had done 3 Mr. Beer batches before this... Followed Recipe exactly with the kit from my LHBS
1.018 is not too high FG. Windsor yeast has a predicted attenuation of 70% which is actually exactly what you got. Typically actual attenuation results vary +/- a few percent from the predicted amount.

To calculate attenuation use (OG-FG)/OG (in points). 60-18/60=42/60=0.7

Old 11-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #679
wilbr11
Recipes 

Okay, cool, thank you so much! Needing to develop the confidence to know things work as they should I guess.. Worried I screwed up..thank you so much!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #680
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbr11 View Post
I brewed the White House ale from Northern Brewer on 10/31. Used a yeast starter and had healthy fermentation for a few days and no more bubbles for at least a week. The temperature was at the low end for the yeast, which is 64F, which I was around or a little higher for the first several days then it got cold and basement dropped to 63F. I wanted to check the gravity but I broke my hydrometer this weekend Got to my LHBS on Monday and got a new one and the gravity is at 1.020. I measured Tuesday and got the same 1.020. Northern said the FG should be about 1.007 - 1.014. There was also a healthy head of krausen on top too when I first took the gravity on Monday and it was less, but still there on Tuesday. I did move it to my dining room, which keeps it around 68F on Monday evening. There has been very slow air lock activity.

I wanted to move the beer to secondary so I could reuse the White House ale yeast to brew a milk stout which I plan to put in a used whiskey barrel. Due to vacations coming up (thanksgiving and xmas), I really wanted to brew yesterday reusing the yeast but I decided to just use the dry yeast that came with the kit because I figured my fermentation was stuck and I didn't want to use questionable yeast. So I'll probably just leave the honey ale in primary until I get back from vacation so it will probably be in primary for about 4 weeks. I will probably take a couple gravity readings before bottling just to see where it's at, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be done by then.

Quick Reply