New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #511
greenhaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have to say its freaking awesome that they put their recipes out. I'm new to brewing two extract kits under my belt. I def will try the porter one !
Slainte

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #512
hoppybrewster
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBrewMD
Silly me- I actually followed the 'original' recipe and only added 1/2 oz. of fuggles. Now I'm ready to bottle and it tastes like. . . well, not much. Is there any way to add the 1oz of hops that's missing or did I just ruin it?
If you add the hops now you'll end up with some kind of goofed up IPA or maybe a **********

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benny Franklin

Last edited by Pappers_; 10-17-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: borderline political/racial comment in the technical forum - please stay far away from anything partisan in this thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #513
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBrewMD
Silly me- I actually followed the 'original' recipe and only added 1/2 oz. of fuggles. Now I'm ready to bottle and it tastes like. . . well, not much. Is there any way to add the 1oz of hops that's missing or did I just ruin it?
It is definitely not ruined. I would drink it as is and keep the ounce for a future brew day. In my experience mistakes often lead to great beer.

You could dry hop with the extra ounce. That would give a nice aroma to the beer and add a bit of taste but it would not be as intended. You won't get any bitterness from a dry hop though the 1.5 oz of fuggles wasn't giving much anyway.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #514
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
i think you're missing something.. because my plug-in gave me 1.067 as a target SG
Yes, I mentioned it somewhere above, I failed to change the volume from my standard 6 gallons to 5 gallons.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #515
jeremy0209
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky701 View Post
Alright what kinda honey you all use? I have a local bee lady I can get jars from just didn't know if it need to be filtered pasteurized or any of that other happy b.s. thanks for any info
I used local wildflower honey from a farmer's market. Having said that, I also boiled it for 60 min per the instructions...I wanted to make it like they do as a baseline and adjust from there. When you're boiling it for 60 min, I don't think it really matters what kind of honey you use.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #516
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 451

I got some honey sourced from DC hives, one in the Georgetown neighborhood and another in Shaw (if you don't know DC, they're both a mile to a mile and a half from the White House as the crow- or bee- flies, maybe less). Perks of living 5 minutes from DC I guess. Haven't done the porter yet, but the Shaw honey went into the Honey Ale.

Up Next: Pale Mild, Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone v1.0
Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #517
hendew_24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just tried my 12oz WH Honey Ale. This is my first home brew. Wow, wasn't ready for the flavor, I so new that really don't know all the lingo yet, but I think it is pretty hoppy. Anyway I am pretty stoked. I am going to put a few sixers in the fridge and share with my co_workers. IPA up next for me, just gotta get the family over this bug so I can have some me time in the ktichen

Old 10-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #518
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2597 Times on 2044 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Nice job! Is that a frosted mug you're using?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #519
hoppybrewster
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendew_24
I just tried my 12oz WH Honey Ale. This is my first home brew. Wow, wasn't ready for the flavor, I so new that really don't know all the lingo yet, but I think it is pretty hoppy. Anyway I am pretty stoked. I am going to put a few sixers in the fridge and share with my co_workers. IPA up next for me, just gotta get the family over this bug so I can have some me time in the ktichen
Wow! Mine doesn't look that dark and it still in the carboy

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benny Franklin

Old 10-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #520
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just ordered the hone ale kit from Austin Homebrew Supply, can't wait to try it.

Quick Reply