Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #361
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/hon...tation-329194/

obviously no way to prove it was the honey but there are a couple instances in that thread where honey is the likely source of infection - i just think it's inaccurate to say it's impossible or won't happen as opposed to very unlikely esp if using raw/unpasteurized honey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #362
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3509 Times on 2168 Posts
Likes Given: 3008

Pasteurization is the process of killing spoiling bacteria with heat. The higher the heat, the shorter the time you need to keep the product at that temperature. Boiling is not necessary, but it's quicker.

There is a curve referred to as the pasteurization curve. Here's the curve I go by. I think the curve changes with different products, but it's a good start.

Netflyer Likes This 
Old 09-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #363
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundoggie
OK, so I brewed up a batch of the White House Honey Porter and thought I’d give a review:

Appearance – At first pour there was a lot of lively bubbling and a thick head but after a very short time it went completely flat. There was some residual bubble head but it was scattered and not coherent.

I expected a better color balance between the light malt extract and the darker grains but the brew color is definitely on the dark side. I’m sure that will appeal to some people.

Aroma – Very strong scent of Wright and Ayers hops which is very typical of the bitter Chicago-style brews. There is some masking of this bitterness with the use of government honey and Hawaiian flavors but the odor seems somewhat rotten as if something wasn’t quite right..

Taste – Despite the hype and expense there is very little taste. In addition to being flat and tasteless it is also very weak. Overall the flavor just doesn’t work.

When I contacted the White House they said that all my problems with this beer were due to the effects of the last batch I brewed (a Busch-clone). They also said I should try again and let the brew condition for 4 years to ensure full success.
This post is amazing...

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #364
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
I add it at 5 minutes. Boiling longer and I'd guess some of the volatile compounds that give honey it's flavor and aroma are lost to steam.

I think adding it to cooled wort is a very bad idea. Honey won't support the growth of bacteria, but that doesn't mean it's sterile when you add it.
Dammit...I just brewed the brown ale this week....did a full boil on the 1lb honey. Dammit.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #365
jimbot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed an all-grain conversion of this on Sep 2nd. Today I needed space in my _fermentator_ (I love that video) so I had to move it to a secondary Better Bottle. I didn't taste it, but there was a healthy 3/4 in. of yeast on the bottom. Also, it smelled fairly sweet and malty, and the gravity was at 1.008 (OG was 1.065). There was still a eighth inch of krausen on there. I had pitched two packets of yeast. Beersmith tells me 7.5% ABV, . It has a deep red brown hue.
I bottle, so in a week or two I'll let you all know how the sample is. I'm really hoping the honey dries it out, and that the IBV is strong enough to balance it out. Maybe the yeast can eek out a little more ABV, and perhaps the sweetness will balance out the heat from that.

--Jimbot

Old 09-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #366
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1599 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 657

A friend and I brewed an all-grain version of the Honey Ale this morning. Honey sourced from hives approximately a mile from the White House (nice thing about living locally). Fermentation is in his hands. We'll see how it turns out.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor, Wild Cider, English Cider
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypins: (Empty for now)
Bottled: Doppelsticke Altbier, Berliner Weisse, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer, English IPA
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #367
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

image-2774095904.jpg

There she is! All grain. 7.1%, S05 yeast, Colorado honey, house roasted grains. I brewed this exactly one week ago today I believe. It's actually pretty damn tasty!

If I make it again, I'll definitely add more bitterness. The honey adds a really nice floral component to it. Overall, I would give it about a B+.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #368
Cajun_Tiger33
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar

There she is! All grain. 7.1%, S05 yeast, Colorado honey, house roasted grains. I brewed this exactly one week ago today I believe. It's actually pretty damn tasty!

If I make it again, I'll definitely add more bitterness. The honey adds a really nice floral component to it. Overall, I would give it about a B+.
Could you send me your recipe for this all grain brew?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #369
Sublimis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
pretty standard extract recipes with honey added. Nothing exactly amazing or shocking about it. Hopefully now that the recipes are released everyone can calm down. Though i expect a lot of politically charged commentary to pop up.

Edit: The first political comment came while i was reading the thread and then typing.
lmao!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #370
nickharbour
Troll
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar View Post