Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #281
DaBills
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRiverBrewer View Post
When I heard this, there was no way I could imagine the president toiling over a kettle of wort somewhere in the White House... This is obviously a PR stunt and if we're lucky, some true brewer will be there the next time he whips out a bottle of the WH brew to ask some real questions... Someone has to find out who actually brews this stuff.
Hmm, watch the video in the original post, and definitely read before you post. Good 'ol american fun.

Go Bills!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #282
RumRiverBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the heads-up DaBills... I didn't realize the PR folks did a YouTube video, very well done. I missed the president in the video though, I was expecting to see him and michelle brewing their own beers.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #283
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRiverBrewer
When I heard this, there was no way I could imagine the president toiling over a kettle of wort somewhere in the White House... This is obviously a PR stunt and if we're lucky, some true brewer will be there the next time he whips out a bottle of the WH brew to ask some real questions... Someone has to find out who actually brews this stuff.
The White House cooks make it, and it isn't a secret. He originally bought them a homebrew kit and asked them to look into homebrewing a couple years back.

Of course the President isn't spending hours cleaning, sanitizing, brewing, cleaning, sanitizing, fermenting, cleaning, sanitizing, bottling, and cleaning every - or any - 5 gallon batch. And no reasonable person would think he does, or expect him to, while he's in office. Perhaps he'll take up the hobby himself when he's no longer in office in 2016 - though it's unlikely, there is more than merely a remote chance how - but until then, the White House cooks will keep brewing and learning and getting better, and hopefully continue it with the 45th president in 2016, and onward to become a White House tradition.

Unlike wine (and don't get me wrong, I love wine and make it as well), beer is truly the "people's" drink, and can be world-class with ingredients from even an average homebrew shop. "White House Wine" would have to be made from grapes grown at the White House for the concept to have any meaning - essentially, it's the growers that make the wine - and that's just not going to produce a truly great product in DC. But beer - while still benefiting from quality ingredients - relies on the skill and creativity of the brewer more than the geography and climate of where its ingredients are grown, and as such, it's more than possible for a true "White House Beer" to be world class, even good enough to share with the most important of foreign leaders and dignitaries.

They're obviously not there yet, but it's a definite possibility down the line!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #284
DaBills
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRiverBrewer View Post
Thanks for the heads-up DaBills... I didn't realize the PR folks did a YouTube video, very well done. I missed the president in the video though, I was expecting to see him and michelle brewing their own beers.
No problem.

Go Bills!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #285
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2670 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
This thread is about beer. If I have to babysit it one iota, it will get closed. If you post ANY political commentary in this technical forum, I will ban you for three days, no questions asked. Carry on.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #286
DaBills
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
This thread is about beer. If I have to babysit it one iota, it will get closed. If you post ANY political commentary in this technical forum, I will ban you for three days, no questions asked. Carry on.
Yes. This. This thread has been great so far... The reason? No politics. Just beer.

Go Bills!

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #287
crazyworld
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Can I just ask, does anyone else find it ironic that they're brewing what looks to be an English style beer?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #288
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Basically who gives a d<>m!

Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #289
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Can I just ask, does anyone else find it ironic that they're brewing what looks to be an English style beer?

I noticed it. Not a big deal in my book, the English know how to make a good style of beer.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #290
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 952 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Goose Island's flagship beer is Honkers Ale and they describe it as an ESB. Nothing wrong with a good American made English beer!

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply