Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #191
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3160 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard0 View Post
Is anyone surprised that Obama is even [not] brewing it himself? It looks like his chefs are doing it for him. What fun is that?
I can't tell if these posts are serious.

Obama is the president of the United States, and arguably the most influential leader on earth. I hope no one here thinks he is homebrewing himself. He can do that when he's done presidenting.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #192
DaBills
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I can't tell if these posts are serious.

Obama is the president of the United States, and arguably the most influential leader on earth. I hope no one here thinks he is homebrewing himself. He can do that when he's done presidenting.
Yes, yes, and yes. Nail on the head.

Go Bills!

Old 09-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #193
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3343 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 232

More Beer says they package their lme in foil bags. Looks like the bags in the video are clear.

William's Brewing sells in clear pouches. They also have their logo on their buckets. The video has buckets with a B on them.

Those B buckets come from brewersbestkits.com. So I went there and used their retailer locator. The retailer that came up by the zip code of the White House, 20500, is

MY LOCAL HOMEBREW SHOP
6201 Leesburg Pike #3
Falls Church, VA. 22044 US
Telephone: (703) 241-3874

Then again, they aren't the only retailer to sell Brewer's Best gear.

LD Carlson sells a lot of their products in clear bags. Given their product is everywhere, there's a good chance it's theirs.

Wait. Do they sell lme?

People Like This 
Old 09-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #194
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There's at least one LHBS here in Utah that sells LME in clear plastic bags. I'm sure they buy it by the barrel and fill bags from that.

I have a morebeer LME bag here. Found it at a freight salvage dealer's storefront, they had a whole bunch of 'em. I figured 11 pounds of light LME for $7 was a good deal. One of these days i need to make a bunch of canned wort from it for starters.

I wouldn't characterize their bag as foil - more metalized plastic.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #195
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin
More Beer says they package their lme in foil bags. Looks like the bags in the video are clear.

William's Brewing sells in clear pouches. They also have their logo on their buckets. The video has buckets with a B on them.

Those B buckets come from brewersbestkits.com. So I went there and used their retailer locator. The retailer that came up by the zip code of the White House, 20500, is

MY LOCAL HOMEBREW SHOP
6201 Leesburg Pike #3
Falls Church, VA. 22044 US
Telephone: (703) 241-3874

Then again, they aren't the only retailer to sell Brewer's Best gear.

LD Carlson sells a lot of their products in clear bags. Given their product is everywhere, there's a good chance it's theirs.

Wait. Do they sell lme?
Nice detective work, Ace!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #196
dtow2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup
The lightest honeys are the highest grades. I am a beekeeper, so I know a little about it. Wildflower honey would be perfectly acceptable. You may not know this, but bees will keep the honey for different flowers separate. Watch a bee work some blossoms sometime. You'll notice she'll only go from one flower to another of the same species. Even another species of the same color will not be visited by that bee on that trip. I don't know why they do this, but that's how you can get 100% Pure Clover honey, because these little dynamos do that for us.
I'll be starting bee keeping next spring. I have a local bee keeper to help me out. I've been using his honey all year in making a honey cream ale. And man do my fellow drinkers love it. The alcohol is usually around a 7.5 to 8%.
3 weeks ago i got 30 pounds of uncapped honey. I have two carboys going now using uncapped honey. It has a strong flavor to it. I got the uncapped honey for a dollar a pound because its moisture is too high for him to sell it. I'll be putting it on tap this Saturday!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #197
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

With all the cherry trees/blossoms in the Washington DC area, especially around the white house. I wonder if that has any influence on the flavor of the honey they're harvesting?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

DaBills Likes This 
Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #198
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3160 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
With all the cherry trees/blossoms in the Washington DC area, especially around the white house. I wonder if that has any influence on the flavor of the honey they're harvesting?
Now that would make it unique! Those cherry blossom trees were gifts from the emperor of Japan a long time ago. I think.
People Like This 
Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #199
WaltStarr
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well, I just ordered the ingredients from Norther Brewer and should be ready to go next weekend.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #200
midlantic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltStarr View Post
I'm hoping that beer brewing becomes a standard in the white house kitchen. With any luck, maybe they'll start all grain brewing at some point! Possibly even all electric grain brewing!
I agree with the spirit behind this idea. I'm guessing that the White House kitchen may have already expanded past the amount of equipment shown in the video -- they must be used to anticipating all kinds of sudden unexpected demands, and don't want to be caught short if the President decides to invite 100 veterans over for beer next weekend and wants to offer the house bottle, for example. They may well be churning out a lot more than 5 gallons a month as we speak.

I think it would be great if future presidents also had their own style -- over the years, I think it would be a great way to track changing tastes and preferences, and I hope they keep the tradition growing.

I seem to remember that Reagan was a big booster of California wines and helped a bit in making them more respected internationally by serving them a lot when he was President. Maybe Obama could do just a little of that for US beer as well.

Quick Reply