Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Whirlfloc trub blues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Whirlfloc trub blues

I'm on my fourth AG batch and the first two I did without whirlfloc or irish moss. They were cloudy and had some hop trub going into the fermenter so I used whirfloc on the next two batches.

The first batch I used whirfloc on I didn't whirlpool and ended up with a ton of whirfloc trub in the fermenter. So today's batch got whirfloc at 15min then I went through my flameout and cooling routine (IC from 212 to 78 in about 14min). I then took the kettle and whirlpooled with a spoon on the outer edge for about five minutes. I put the lid on and let it sit for 45min-1hr while I ate dinner, then came back and gravity fed it to my fermenter.

Unfortunately I had the same problem, once I got about 3.5g into the fermenter the dip tube suction started pulling the whirlfloc into the fermenter.

I've attached three pics showing the whirlfloc trub with 1.5 - 2gal remaining, then the hop trub in the center (leading me to think I whirlpooled ok) and lastly all the whirfloc trub in the fermenter

Did I not whirlpool long enough? Do I need to buy a hopblocker (I was hoping to save the $60 or whatever the blichmann ones are)? I hear great things about using irish moss or whirlfloc, does everyone just live with it in their fermenter?

I like to wash my yeast and I can't imagine doing so with all this whirlfloc bound up protein gunk.

img_1479.jpg   img_1480.jpg   img_1481.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Generally people don't wait long enough after whirlpooling before racking into the fermenter.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

this is not really a problem at all. you can work at straining the trub but you will not be achieving anything in terms of beer in your glass. me and many other people dump everything in the fermentor and get clear, good tasting beer. the yeast love to feed on the trub/break material so in that regard it's good for your beer. some people insist that it affects the clarity and taste in which case i say go ahead and filter it out (if you can), either way is good.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
Generally people don't wait long enough after whirlpooling before racking into the fermenter.
I waited at least 45min after whirlpooling before racking. How long is long enough if that isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
this is not really a problem at all. you can work at straining the trub but you will not be achieving anything in terms of beer in your glass. me and many other people dump everything in the fermentor and get clear, good tasting beer. the yeast love to feed on the trub/break material so in that regard it's good for your beer. some people insist that it affects the clarity and taste in which case i say go ahead and filter it out (if you can), either way is good.
The two beers I did without any fining agents ended up great, though a little cloudy. The last beer I did with whirlfloc ended up having so much whirlfloc trub that I didn't get a full 5gal into the keg.

Many people on HBT swear by whirlfloc, I'm just wondering how they deal with all the bring whirlfloc protein chunks.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

if you would have dumped the whole kettle into the fermentor you would have had your full volume. the 6-8 inches of trub in the carboy packs down to an or two in the end anyway. even if you didn't use whirlfloc you should still have break material in the kettle after the boil so whirlfloc is not to blame. what i'm trying to get you to see is that there is not problem with trub in the fermentor.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 697

I flameout, add hops and spices, whirlpool then go to the store for ice. I get back and set up my icebath and sanitize the pot. By then its pretty much settled. About 30-40 minutes total

Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

just use a sanatized "ladies stocking" on the end of your tube, helps with aeration and fillter much of the trub

Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I never whirlpool, everything in my boil pot -hops and all- goes right in the fermenter, and my chiller is just a basic 25' copper coil from Midwest, so I don't do any really rapid chilling. I have used Whirlfloc, which works fine, but am currently using a Five Star product called Super Moss (it is the active ingredient in Irish Moss, something called carrageenan). I use a tiny bit (only 1/4 tsp. in a 5 gallon batch), and I get good results. Trub drops out well, and I get nice clear beer.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I used a hop bag for my last 2 brews, cut down on the trub dramatically, but I agree that my beers in which I poured ALL the trub into the fermenter came out clear as well.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use to use super moss then stopped because of to much trub. Now I use no finning agents and rapidly cool my wort. I've had clear beer for the last 10 batches, lagers and ales.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Quick Reply