Where to order from

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
I live in western NY and I have moved pretty far away from my brew shop. I forgot to buy a bunch of ingredients before I left. And during the move my yeast bank went bad. I looked on Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies but it seems like they don't have at least a flat rate shipping. Shipping came to like 22$ for a 40$ order, which is plain out ridiculous.

So I was wondering if anybody knows of a good site to order from.

I have been reading radical brewing and home malting from 2-row sounds pretty good. I have a huge sack of 2-row left and a guy I met invited me over to collect his hops (he doesn't brew anymore). I figured with the home malt and some home cooked brewers caramel I could come up with some good recipes. Still, I'm hoping to get some more variety than homemade malt and cascade hops so I can make the specialty beers I have planned out.

Anyway, thanks people!

Do you ever get up to Tonawanda? nthomebrew.com seems to usually have a good inventory and their retail prices seem pretty reasonable and they have a grain crusher. There's a LHBS in Dunkirk too but I've never gone to it. Shipping grains is tricky for say a 50lb bag because shipping is going to add quite a bit to the price unless you're getting say a whole pallet.

The only two places I know of that still offer flat rate shipping are brewmasterswarehouse.com and austinhomebrew.com. Both are excellent companies to work with.

I ordered from brewmasterswarehouse. It always seems like a lot of money when you order for a few batches at once instead of picking things up from the store weekly. I'm always thinking to myself "yeah I can use this...or this...or this.." then my bill sky rockets.

Lol anyway, thanks a lot everyone.

Northern brewer does have flat rate and it ships pretty quickly. MoreBeer is free over $60, but shipping is a little slower and they have a smaller selection.

The gotcha in both cases is this - if you order any item that doesn't ship free (e.g. Bottles, sacks of grain) then you pay freight shipping.

Check out Rebel Brewer at rebelbrewer.com. they are awesome and they have the best grain selection anywhere. Plus with them being out of Nashville Tennessee you will get your order pretty quick.

Thanks again everyone! I wish I checked out the places that offer free shipping over a certain price.

I think my problem was that I was trying to order a 3 gal carboy which likely killed the shipping deals on the sites I tried.

If they have good prices they have high shipping. If they have good shipping then they have high prices... Whatever..... I have the local wine store order ingredients for me.

Northern brewer does have flat rate and it ships pretty quickly. MoreBeer is free over $60, but shipping is a little slower and they have a smaller selection.

The gotcha in both cases is this - if you order any item that doesn't ship free (e.g. Bottles, sacks of grain) then you pay freight shipping.

Northernbrewer does have flat rate shipping. You can toast your 2 row to varying degrees for variety.

Northern used to have flat rate. They did away with it.

Yeah, I was about to +1 the Northern Brewer flat rate shipping. Then went and checked the website only to find that they have ditched that program. I haven't checked prices on much to see if they really have been reduced in conjunction with the higher shipping charges. Anybody else done (or willing to do) any price checking to see how they compare now?

NB did dump flat rate, but on the good side, they also don't have an exclusive shipping contract that locks them into fed-ex.

Dry yeast went from 3.50 to 3.25
rahr 2-row dropped about 10 cents
a carboy cost $12 to ship UPS
a carboy and 12-15lbs of general stuff costs $16 ups

NB is still in the game, not the best but better than midwest, not as good as Williams(similar select-item flat rate program as NB's old system), lagging way behind AHS
morebeer is still select-item free shipping over $49 or$59 but not the great selection

I've always been a fan of Northern Brewer. Great products and customer service - live chat if you need any help or questions with your order too.

Midwest gets my dollars. Of course, they're also my LHBS, so I don't worry about shipping. Prices are better than NB on most things I buy, too.

Back