New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > where to find good beer in society?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
shanek17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default where to find good beer in society?

Hello everybody, I am a fellow home brewer and have been enjoying my time fermenting many things, Iv made wine and beers and even meads. I enjoy it so much I try to absorb relevant information everywhere I can and I get alot of beer info from James spencers podcast Basic Brewing radio/video. They always talk about these great beers and they poke fun at the mainstream boring beers, and it makes my mouth water thinking about these mysterious beers. Now im wondering where the heck can I try these awesome beers?! I am guessing that I should be calling them craft beers rite? Can I just go to a local beer store or LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario) and find a well made beer? or Do I have to go directly to the home brewery? I live close to London Ontario and would love to try some beers, maybe someone has a recommendation ?

Oh and just to clarify , I am a overall good fermenter, but when it comes to the beer making , I just buy those extract kits in a can and make the beer the easiest way, some day Ill go out and buy all the equipment and fresher ingredients to make my own good home brew... but in the mean time Id like to see what good beers are out there.

I wasn't ready for parenthood so I took a class on making beer babies, finally something to nuture!

Last edited by shanek17; 01-02-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: made a mistake!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Since you are Canadian here is a Canadian Brewery that make some awesome beers...

http://www.unibroue.com/en/home

Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
BarnyardFunk
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

http://www.ontariocraftbrewers.com/
I'm not from Canada so I don't know how the distribution is, but I found this on the googly..hope it helps- seems to be a fair amount of craft breweries in Ontario.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks guys these sites look great, I have been talking to other people on another forum and they have good advice too. The one person mentions how the LCBO is better for craft beer and that the beer store is actually owned by the big breweries and that they dont offer much good craft beers.

http://www.canadianhomebrewers.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1580&p=15023#p15023

I wasn't ready for parenthood so I took a class on making beer babies, finally something to nuture!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

You'll probably do best by following the lovely Ontario beer expert Mirella Amato's website for information about Canadian micros.

http://beerology.ca/category/blog/

According to her there are approximately 40 craft and microbreweries in the province;

http://beerology.ca/learn-about-beer/links/#linkcat-35

She also hosts tours; http://beerology.ca/guided-beer-tastings-and-beer-consultant-services/#guided

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Dang! Where was she the last time I was in Ontario??

Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Yeah she's a hottie. And has one of those great slight Canadian accents when I've heard her on CBC radio. My "special place" gets all tingly whenever she say "doeler," "zed," and "eh."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for all the feedback we actually took half our empties to the beer store and got 73$ lol not too bad i think, it helps that we had a big new years party with friends, lots of empties to add to the collection. Anyways rite after that we went to the lcbo, since some of your mentioned LCBO is better than beer store, Unfortunately our store didnt even have the shelves fully stocked. I look for any idication of craft beer that I could and just started going with whatever looked good.

~
beer starting from the top left and going to the right side. Kil kenny irish cream ale, La messagere blonde, muskoka mad tom IPA, flying monkey atomic IPA , southern Tier IPA, Royal stout.

the 2 types of can beer are hop city barking squirrel and cobble stone stout.

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply