Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where does all the beer go?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
guldalian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Where does all the beer go?

I have been wondering, for those of you who seem to brew 10 gallon batches every other week, what happens to all that beer? Unless you are a raging alcoholic, that seems like a lot of beer to go through. I kid, but seriously, I brew 5 gal once a month and I certainly haven't let it just sit there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 491

You assume that people are brewing every two weeks. I brew 10 gallon batches, but with a small child at home, my opportunities to brew are now every two months if I'm lucky.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
guldalian
Recipes 

Yes I'm sure not everyone on here is like that, just seems there are a lot that are. I was just curious. And a bit jealous.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
wbyrd01
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't do 10 gallon batches but I have been brewing 5 gallons every other weekend. Most of mine gets drank by my friends and neighbors. It's funny how fast 5 gallons can disappear.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Have about 4 friends over and just drink homebrew.... then you will know where it goes ;P

Brew on folks!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 826

I can tell you I know who drinks my beer.....All the guys at beer and cigar night

Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
adam62cb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brew as often as my wife and free time allow. I have a four corney keg keezer set up, so I have four on tap at all times, and usually a sour in extended aging while one or two lagers or ales are at various stages of fermentation. I am by no means a "raging alcoholic", but it is amazing how fast a keg can go when you have a few couples over for a dinner party or 9 other guys over for a poker game. We like to entertain regularly, so it goes quickly. Some of my less than steller brews have sat a while, so I bottle fill the last quarter keg or so to make room for something new. The bottles sit in the basement until I go camping or fishing and then they get cleaned out. I will usually bring a case over to a friends house, and leave what ever isnt consumed that night. I love to brew so I activily look for reasons to have people drink it... in fact, I pretend to like spending time with people just so they can kick my kegs and allow me to brew more...

BAD ALE Brewing

Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Try to brew once a month, 10 gallon batches. Seems I'm always feast-or-famine on having a lot of beer around the house. I tend to have LOTS of trouble keeping all the taps on my kegerator full.

Outside of my own consumption, I tend to take at least 10 gallons a year to the SoCal Homebrew Festival (15 gallons last year). I host a yearly Oktoberfest party. The first year, my first of 2 kegs of O'fest blew in 2 hours. This last year I had 4 beers on tap and less people, but 5 gallons of O'fest were basically gone by the end of the night. Then add in random parties with the extended family, taking growlers to other events to share with friends, bottling some for competition, etc etc. Then I have some projects that are aging (i.e. 10 gallons of apfelwein, 10 gallons of Belgian Golden strong as part of a club barrel-aging product, 5 gallons of a collaboration imperial milk stout, etc) that slow down the beer pipeline in the short term but will really supplement it later.

It's amazing how fast some of this stuff can disappear.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
guldalian
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam62cb
I brew as often as my wife and free time allow. I have a four corney keg keezer set up, so I have four on tap at all times, and usually a sour in extended aging while one or two lagers or ales are at various stages of fermentation. I am by no means a "raging alcoholic", but it is amazing how fast a keg can go when you have a few couples over for a dinner party or 9 other guys over for a poker game. We like to entertain regularly, so it goes quickly. Some of my less than steller brews have sat a while, so I bottle fill the last quarter keg or so to make room for something new. The bottles sit in the basement until I go camping or fishing and then they get cleaned out. I will usually bring a case over to a friends house, and leave what ever isnt consumed that night. I love to brew so I activily look for reasons to have people drink it... in fact, I pretend to like spending time with people just so they can kick my kegs and allow me to brew more...
That last bit is pretty hilarious. Sounds like I need to start giving away more beer so I can brew more often. Now I just need a 2nd job to pay for it....

Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you think about how much beer is in 10 gallons, about 100ish (give or take 5 for trub). One or two (possibly 3 or 4 on weekends) beers per night for one person. Drinking a 6 pack a day is not out of the question for a couple. that is about 35-45 beers per week. i would not concider that raging alcoholic status, but for two people, a 5gal keg could be gassed in a week. add a friend or two to the mix and it goes very quickly. a 10gal batch could be drank in two weeks for two people.

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Quick Reply