The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > where do you order from?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
zzees
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default where do you order from?

I am looking to order a 10 gal. stainless steel pot from from Northern Brewer. Anyone have an opinion about them?

Pot I am thinking about getting: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...n-megapot.html

I might get the false bottom too.

In Bottles: All Empty, thanks the mead that's taking forever.
Beers we have known and loved: Amber Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzees View Post
I am looking to order a 10 gal. stainless steel pot from from Northern Brewer. Anyone have an opinion about them?

Pot I am thinking about getting: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...n-megapot.html

I love Northern Brewer, they're my primary online shop for most everything.

I just ordered a pot from bayou classic, since I don't care about built-in spigots and thermometers and the like. They come with steamer inserts, which is awesome for doing BiaB and depending on the pot size and your application might be an okay sub for the false bottom. http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sta..._stock_pot.htm

If you want the bells and whistles on the pot, though, Northern Brewer's always been great to me.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
tjp68
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzees View Post

Best website in the business (imo), fast shipping, good selection, good recipe kits, a little pricey. For equipment purchase, I'll check them, Midwest, and sometimes Austin Homebrew. Don't sleep on Midwest Supplies...I've found their prices to be slightly better on some things, especially kegging stuff.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1382 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've ordered from them 3 times now and it's always quick shipping & good service. I like their flat $7.99 shipping. Their kits are much better priced than my LHBS, and since I order 3 at a time the $7.99 shipping is great.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I get most of my equipment from Austin Homebrew Supply. They've always given me great service, fast delivery. I got my 10 gal kettle from them, they drilled my holes to spec and had it to me fast.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just recently got the same exact pot. It's a solid kettle and very nice overall. I just brewed a batch starting with 6.5 gallons of water and there was a decent amount of head space (but not too much where I feel like I bought too much kettle for the job). I'm very glad I got the 10 instead of the 8 gallon since I likely would have had a boilover during my boil.

I've had one concern so far. After I initially washed it and gave it a test run I put it down it in my basement. Apparently I didn't dry it very well and little tiny rust spots showed up on the bottom. A quick scrub with Barkeepers Friend took care if it right away. I've since made sure to dry it well before storing it and I've had no problems since.

Overall I'm really glad it got it and I will second that Northern Brewer is a great place to order from. Good luck!

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 03-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #7
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

NB rocks when it comes to brewing. They are my main source. I get things within 2 days (because I live super close.) You could probably get a cheaper pot elsewhere though.
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-.../dp/B000VXHKMC
$88 , you really can't beat that at all.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Austin and Brewmasters mostly for supplies .On Amazon it looks like the same pot with free shipping and 3 bucks cheaper if you are not in a hurry for it. Only good if you are willing to drill the pot yourself or not adding the spigot. I bet either would match the price though and would be a good deal if you are ordering other items

40qtSS

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
BigJason
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've ordered from Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply, and Midwest Supplies and most recently from Williams Brewing. All have been great. NB has been most common, and I also visit the local store in Milwaukee as often as possible

6 Gal. Primary - NB's Wheaten Beatdown
6 Gal. Primary - NB's Wheaten Beatdown
5 Gal. Secondary - Empty
5 Gal. Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - Dunkelweizen, Dawson's Multigrain Red

Old 03-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
MikeP
Recipes 

Just placed an order from Brewmaster (well organized website), ordered a 8.5 gallon kettle and some other things from AHS a couple weeks ago - the 7.99 shipping ROCKS. Really quick turnaround on the order as well.

Quick Reply