Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where do you folks put your beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
devilishprune
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Where do you folks put your beer?

As I stand in my kitchen, making sure my first starter doesn't boil over, I realize that in a short few months I will be faced with a terrible dilemma.

I'm going to be moving into an apartment with my future SWMBO in about a month and a half. The problem is that, even though she is fully supportive of my hobby (she bought me all my equipment) she is none too happy with the prospect of our apartment being stuffed full of jugs of foamy amber liquid. Granted, I agree with her, but that still doesn't solve my problem.

My question to you, fellow homebrewers, is what do those of you who live in small apartments do with all your fermenting beer? Is there some kind of clever cabinet that I can construct to discreetly continue with my newfound hobby, or am I doomed to a year of commercial brews as I patiently bide my time until we find a new apartment (one with a designated brew closet)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put mine at the foot of my bed. Sure makes my room smell interesting when fermentation is going strong but I am the only one that has to deal with it. If you have a spare bathroom you could put them in the bathtub.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You may be able to compromise and only have 1 fermenter going at a time, in exchange for her dedicating half a closet floor (you can still hang stuff over it) or under the kitchen table (if it's pushed against a wall, keeping a fermenter against the wall may be workable) or something as the space for it to go.

Bottled beer is a little easier to deal with--under the bed, top shelves, whatever. But in a small apartment, you're not going to be able to keep as much in fermenters or in bottles as if you're in a house with a full basement.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When we had only one bedroom apartment (and bottled) beer was in the walk-in master closet, hall closet, and the end tables next to couches, half the regular refrigerator, and the beer fridge next to the couch.

Now that we moved apartments to fit more equipment. I have the entire floor to ceiling of the 2nd bedroom walk in closet, the mini fridge kegerator, and the utility closet. Switching to kegs and being organized with lots of sturdy shelving finally allowed me to compact my stuff.

The end tables idea was a good one. Got two cheapo desks from ikea, fit a plywood to the bottom, and covered the opening with bamboo. Each one fit 6 cases of beer and they were perfect height for the couch.

Last edited by mosquitocontrol; 04-12-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I told her that I would put a shirt on it and leave it in the living room while we pretended that it was a person that we didn't talk to.

She had none of that.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There was a guy on here that built a nice looking armoire to sit in the corner of the foyer of his house that held a crazy amount of carboys (and ice buckets to keep temps nice and cool.

You might be able to find an armoire or wardrobe that is large enough for you to use and nice looking enough for SWMBO to not complain about.

edit: http://www.ivgstores.com/IVG2/Y/ProductID-52461-.htm

Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hall Closet for little gear and fermenting, my daughter who is only here in the summer's bedroom for conditioning, the garage for big gear.
I am going to have a big problem with storage during the summer...

Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
I'm going to be moving into an apartment with my future SWMBO in about a month and a half. The problem is that, even though she is fully supportive of my hobby (she bought me all my equipment) she is none too happy with the prospect of our apartment being stuffed full of jugs of foamy amber liquid.
I find the biggest problem is beer storage space. A 6 gallon fermentor fits in a closet, and everything else can hide away in cabinets. But once you've bottled it you'll have to store it somewhere; even with a garage we're running out of space. (Admittedly I make too much beer.)

Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I use my storage unit. It's a lifesaver. There is no power in there but it stays a steady 63F most of the year. If I didn't have the storage unit, I'd have to give up the hobby.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, something like that cabinet/armoire would probably be the best option here. If it had some sturdy shelves then that would be even better. The problem is its a 1 bed 1 bath apartment, so there's no extra bathrub/bedroom/closet space unfortunately.

Quick Reply