Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where do my tastes really lie?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #21
robbase9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Here's my take:

Beer is an acquired taste. I have been hearing that since i was 16 and it's true. You have acquired a taste for lagers and pilsners. It sounds like you want to acquire a taste for more robust, flavorful and fun beers.

Get loaded, wasted, bombed out of your gourd... well ok maybe just drink 4 or 5 really good IPAs one night. Make sure you're around friends and having a really good time. Drinking the IPA that has a LOT of flavor to it will sort of dull your taste for the BMC type beers. Being around friends and having a good time while your drinking will have a psychosymatic effect. You will associate having a good time with drinking the IPA and it will become more appealing to you.

Keep doing this and keep trying different style of beers. Make it an adventure to see how many different beers you can drink before going back to the BMC. This is what worked for me.

I used to be a Natty Light drinker. Then I graduated to Bud. From Bud i started drinking Amber Bock. That's when i got hooked. Then i started drinking the strongest beers i could find. Samicluas, beelzebub, delirium, aventinus. Now everything I beer i drink, I can find something I like about it, except Miller Lite. That's just weasle piss in my opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #22
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

msmith81:

I think you need some guidance on which "gateway beers" to try in order to start expanding your tastes. The first different, non-BMC beer I ever had was George Killian's Irish Red. I think it's interesting enough, but mild enough that you might enjoy it. You could also try a honey lager, like J.W. Dundee or Michelob Honey Lager, and see if you like those.

The ale I always recommend to people that only drink lagers is Fat Tire Amber Ale. I don't drink it, but I recognize that it is a good starter beer for people that are ready to explore new flavors, but don't know where to begin.

You could also try a belgian ale like Chimay Premiere or Grand Reserve, or maybe Duvel. Those are sweet and malty, but hardly bitter or hoppy at all. Might be too much yet, though.

I drink stouts, porters, and IPAs, but I STILL don't like regular old pale ales like Full Sail and Sierra Nevada. Something about them just turns me off, so I can understand where you're coming from on those at least. But there are thousands of beers out there. I always get something new when I buy beer, along with my stand-bys.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #23
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbase9
... before going back to the BMC.
??? going back?

Thats like selling your Ferrari and buying 227 rusted out 1981 chevettes. - or deciding against getting the 5oz kobe steak and ordering 70 overcooked processed hamburger patty food product (hockey pucks)
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #24
robbase9
Recipes 

I meant after giving up on trying new, good beers. It sounds like he's just given up and accepted the fact he likes boring BMC beers.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #25
msmith81
Recipes 

Quote:
I used to be a Natty Light drinker. Then I graduated to Bud. From Bud i started drinking Amber Bock. That's when i got hooked. Then i started drinking the strongest beers i could find. Samicluas, beelzebub, delirium, aventinus. Now everything I beer i drink, I can find something I like about it, except Miller Lite. That's just weasle piss in my opinion.
My neighbor gave me a Busch one night and I had to hold my nose to drink it. Won't even try Natty. Bud is alright in a pinch, like the mexican place I mentioned. It's the only thing they have, and it comes in 32 ounce frosted glasses.

I used to love Amber Bock, but I drank 2 half gallons at Oktoberfest, mixed it with some bad saurkraut, and well... I haven't been able to drink it since. Won't drink Lite, but I do enjoy High Life sometimes, its all my grandpa drinks, so I drink it at his house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
msmith81:

I think you need some guidance on which "gateway beers" to try in order to start expanding your tastes. The first different, non-BMC beer I ever had was George Killian's Irish Red. I think it's interesting enough, but mild enough that you might enjoy it. You could also try a honey lager, like J.W. Dundee or Michelob Honey Lager, and see if you like those.

I drink stouts, porters, and IPAs, but I STILL don't like regular old pale ales like Full Sail and Sierra Nevada. Something about them just turns me off, so I can understand where you're coming from on those at least. But there are thousands of beers out there. I always get something new when I buy beer, along with my stand-bys.
Killians I didn't care for. It was alright, but it was a little burnt tasting. My dad likes it, and I'll drink it, but it's nothing special. JW Honeybrown is good stuff I think. All my friends turn their noses up at it, and question why I drink it, but I like it plenty.

Sounds like I'm a lager person (see stigma comments and all attempts at "conversion"), but I can't drink the nasty cheap water stuff. Bud Light is a cuss in my house. But Canadian beers aren't off the list. I think LaBatts did it right. It's got more to it, but I can easily drink 3 or 4 tall ones when I go to a sports bar. Sam Adams and I can't do that. I'm looking for that ultimate lager. I have a great one that I can only get a couple times a year because it's only sold in TN. Velas Helles (Helles is the style) and I LOVE that. And the other sold with it, a bohemian pilsner. I guess it's the heavy german bloodline in me coming out, that's why I like these beers.

I'm checking out the HefeWeizen offerings. I've had a few tastes before, and really enjoyed. Also going to look for Oktoberfest beers, haven't found one that I've turned down yet. Going to try a store that's about a half hour from here, supposed to have a good beer section. Up this way, it's mostly what you can get at Kroger because we're very rural.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #26
msmith81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbase9
I meant after giving up on trying new, good beers. It sounds like he's just given up and accepted the fact he likes boring BMC beers.
I don't know if that's your OPINION or whatnot, but I never said I liked boring beers. I like what I like.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #27
robbase9
Recipes 

Sounds like you're on your way. I have another suggestion if you like lagers and German style beers as do I. Try some bock and doppelbock beers. They are lagered but have more flavor and color to them. Sam Adams Winter Lager is a dynamite beer in my opinion. So is Shiner Bock from Texas. Spaten Optimator is an awesome German doppelbock. Whenever I go to Epcot, the first place I go is the Germany festhaus and grab some. Sooo tasty.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #28
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Lotta lagers in the world.

I like Japanese beer. Sapporo at the Jap place, everytime (and a large hot sake ). There I said it. And Corona. And Tsing Tao. There's a lot of good mild tasting beers out there, and I like just about all of them.

Now trying to MAKE a good lager, that's gonna be a little tougher than the Ales. But I'm determined.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 PM   #29
robbase9
Recipes 

I used to go to this Chinese restaurant and the waitress/owner was this 50 year old woman and every time i would order a Tsing Tao she would say this in an awesomely funny Chinese accent: Ching Dow, Chinese Beer, okaaaaay!

F-ing hilarious. Sorry just had to share. And it's good beer too. Tsing Tao, Molson Canadian, and Moosehead are my guilty pleasure lager favorites.

Quick Reply