Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where do my tastes really lie?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I read your first post and come off with the impression that you pref BMC style products with a few SA lagers thrown in...the general hoppy/malty craft beers don't seem to appeal to ya. Nothing wrong with that 'cept most beergeeks prb won't relate.

pale lagers and pils are how you roll.

Last edited by brewt00l; 03-13-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You definitely have to give IPAs a chance about once every couple months. You start adjusting to flavors and I think we all end up liking them eventually. I think the brewing experience just opens you to more hop flavor and aroma.

Sounds like my mom at the dinner table trying to convince me that I would eventually like lima beans.

...sorry mom, I still don't like em.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nah, my point was that tastes do change over time. I hated brussel sprouts, broccoli and mustard (not mixed together) as a kid. I'm glad I gave them another shot every now and then.

My point is that bitter/hoppy is something that grows on you. I mean, if all you ever had was brown ale, that initial IPA is going to punch you in the face. If you slowly explore down mildly hoppy pales, you get a taste for hops.

I was also saying that brewing in general gets you into hops. Smelling them in raw form gets conditioned as a "good" thing if you have fun brewing.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #14
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Nah, my point was that tastes do change over time. I hated brussel sprouts, broccoli and mustard (not mixed together) as a kid. I'm glad I gave them another shot every now and then.

My point is that bitter/hoppy is something that grows on you. I mean, if all you ever had was brown ale, that initial IPA is going to punch you in the face. If you slowly explore down mildly hoppy pales, you get a taste for hops.

I was also saying that brewing in general gets you into hops. Smelling them in raw form gets conditioned as a "good" thing if you have fun brewing.

....that was supposed to be a joke, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I find I like a beer with body and flavor, but no flavorings.
My first preference is for stouts and porters but I also like hoppy beers and most dark ales.
However I have not tried a beer with extras I really like. That includes chocolate and coffee stouts, fruit ales, pumpkin ales and spiced Christmas ales.
I do not like any of the BMC beers I have tasted. I can't even stand to drink them. And I don't really care for the pale microbrews I have tried.
I didn't even start drinking beer until I was introduced to Guinness and microbrews. So I'm not so sure that full flavored beer is an acquired taste. It may be that most people actually prefer a very light tasting beer.
Craig

Old 03-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
Gedvondur

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
It may be that most people actually prefer a very light tasting beer.
Craig

You've hit the nail on the head. That's why Bud and Miller are as popular as they are and why just about everyone I know won't drink anything but. Especially beers that have a strong bitter aftertaste.

Clearly I don't agree with that assessment, but when I have guys tell me that *Pabst* and *Old Milwaukee* are a bit too strong flavored for them, I have to wonder if they aren't just looking for alcohol in carbed water.

In the case of megabrews, I will drink Miller, Pabst, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, Point, or Old Style if I must. I don't mind Bud, but it gives me a headache.

Gedvondur

Natural 20 Brewery

Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I can totally relate, msmith81.

After drinking commercial brews for more than 30 years, I have started to really try and explore what it is I want in a beer, or maybe more importantly, what I DON'T want. I had tried micro-brewery beers a few times, when I was younger, but having been conditioned to drinking mega quantities of BMC-style beers, felt they were too heavy, too strong, and drinking more than one filled me up. I tried the wheats and other pale beers, but I just didn't really enjoy the flavors that much.

Then, the Michigan Brewery opened up fairly near my house, and I would stop in once in a while and check out the offering, and liking the free peanuts (and liking throwing them on the floor), I found that the IPA was GOOD, and soon after found that I was just about addicted to the stuff. I don't like the Browns, Nut Browns, Wheats, or flavored beers, like cherry, pumpkin, etc, and about all I can say that I really like is the IPA (7.25%), and the Russian Imperial Stout (12.9%). I DO like the hint of chocolate and coffee in some of the darker beers, and surprisingly I DO like the stronger alcohol level beers. I really can't taste the strength of the stronger beers, but I sure feel it, which is kind of a downside to drinking much of a 'session'. But maybe I've been trying the wrong beers all this time, to start with, and looking for a better BMC styled beer and that wasn't what I should have looked for. Now, maybe I've had a change in tastes, or maybe I am just sick to death of drinking light BMC's; I really don't know... but I am getting interested enough to do a lot of research, and try to learn WHY I like some and not others.

Another point I'd like to make is that I generally consume mega-quantities of light beer on my boat, in the hot sun, for the whole day, and I can't see how the convenience of cans-coolerwise, low alcohol, and portablity of canned BMC's will ever be overtaken in that respect. But I want to get set-up to make my own, and I may just learn how to do lagers well enough to be totally free of industrial beer.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:48 AM   #18
msmith81
Recipes 

Appreciate everyone replying.

Sometimes, and I don't know if anyone else feels this way, it feels like there's a stigma for not liking pale ales, stouts, whatnot. I frequently hear that I might as well just drink Bud because I don't drink real beer or something. There's a feeling out there that if you drink lagers, your not drinking right. Which I find weird and annoying. It's not my fault that big breweries make varieties of these beers that are too light. It shouldn't catagorize the whole segment. Yet I find it does a lot.

If there wasn't a want for lagers and pilsners, nobody would have invented the method and stuck with it.

I'm finding that a good lager, with lots of calories, makes me the happiest. I can drink Pale Ales and others, but it doesn't make me smile, but it won't leave me mad. It just leaves me wanting something else... with more flavor.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 AM   #19
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I like all sorts of Ale's, Porters,stouts, and IPA's. Only beers i really dislike are coors,miler, and German Wheat.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 AM   #20
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Every since I started homebrewing I have tried alot more commercial beers. Most of the time when I go to the local package store, I pick something different just to try it. (I'm running out of choices). So far, I really haven't found a beer I didn't like. I've tried numerous styles and I will say that IPA's are my least favorite, but even so I like them now and then (The Red Hook IPA damned good IMO).

I am not including BMC in the above discussion. I have always hated Budweiser, and I had a coors light a few months ago and thought my carbonated urine would have tasted better.

I think it will take something totally off the wall like a jalepeno beer or something totally bizarre before I will find something that turns me off.

Anyone else seem to like just about everything or is it only me?

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply