HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where do my tastes really lie?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
msmith81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where do my tastes really lie?

So I was thinking about what I really like. Then I came to the realization that I don't know. My tastes seem to be all around. So I thought if I post a list of my likes/favorites/regulars (difference being regulars might be cheaper and easier to get ahold of then favorites or just to keep quantity over quality sometimes, yes, shameful) and then my dislikes, maybe you guys could help me put focus on this.

So for likes and such:

Labatts Blue and Labatts Light are my staples. Keep these around for when I just want a good beer right from the bottle. Always tastes crisp, love the tickle from the carbonation it gives me, always thought it had some kind of wood soaked flavor, but probably doesn't. lol.

Sam Adams
Lite. Not sure about it. After drinking the Lager, it seems weak, but if I have the choice of this or Bud, I'd go this way every time.
Boston Lager. Good now and then, great on tap I think. Usually have at least a 6 pack in the fridge to pick and chose between this and other beers.
Oktoberfest. Love it, buy a case or two when it's out.
Winterfest. full and filling, feels like it's adding meat to my bones.

Bitburger. Good now and again. price keeps it out of my fridge most the time.

Blue Moon. yeah, love the citrus to it. unique, love the cloudy appearance.

Tequiza. no, it's not the same thing as Corona! Everyone tells me to just get Corona.

Miller High Life. Strange, but I like this one. My grandfather has this at his home, and I'll grab a few while I'm there. Makes a nice break from other stuff from time to time.

That's all I can think of right now (and it's really late) that I really drink all the time or come back to steadily.

Stuff I didn't like:

Great Lakes Burning River. Tastes okay when you first tip it back, but when it rolls to the back of the tongue, I swear I thought I was drinking chemicals. It was naaaaasty. Feels like I'm drinking cleaning solution.

Sierra Nevada
Indian Pale Ale. I dunno, this just doesn't hit it with me. No love here.
Brown Ale. Wasn't bad, but it just seemed boring. Didn't make me wanna drink it, or want another.

Warsteiner. I don't know if it was an old case or something, but it sucked. It was skunky and I don't think it was worth finishing.

Spaten. Pretty neutral. I'd drink it again, and might have to give it another shot.

Upper Canada. YUCK. We actually poured out an entire case of this stuff. Shop told me it was like a Labatts/molson style. Didn't come close in my eyes.

Arrogant Bastard. Lives up to its name, and its not for me.

Heinieken. what's the hype here???

any of the Natural, Busch, Bud Light beers. There's always a ton of these cans and bottles laying around the college dorms here. cheap and easy to get ahold of, but not good in the least.

I'll admit it, I'll drink Bud. A local mexican restaurant only serves Bud on tap. So I'll indulge in the 32 ounce glass for 3.50. It's not that bad, they pour it into a frozen mug that must weigh 4-5 pounds by itself, and it comes out with frost floating on top from the glass. Though not a fan, when it's the only thing they have, and it's 3.50 for a 32 ounces when Buffalo Wild Wings is selling a pint of anything else for more, it's tasty enough.

So right now I feel like I'm very hit or miss on my choices. I know a lot of people that only stick with one style or brand. I'll try anything anyone hands me, but a lot of times it just doesn't leave a distinct impression. I've learned to drink a lot of stuff from my dad, we never had Bud around. He drinks all sorts of different stuff, and I guess I kind of inherited/learned that. I'm only 25, and didn't start drinking beer really until age 22. But I look at most people my age swilling Nati Light and Bud Light and I just ask why bother? Or my dad's girlfriend who drinks Michelob Ultra Light. YUCK.

Okay, so now with all that out, what's everyone think?

Last edited by msmith81; 03-04-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
Rook

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll bump.

My tastes tend to gravitate towards the hoppy, but I don't share some of the same loves that others on this board do.

I find it odd that I think Arrogant Bastard is just a pretty good all around beer. Not too malty, not too hoppy, just pleasant. I don't consider it strong.

Stone Ruination isn't as good as Stone IPA. I don't think its as balanced of a beer and I think Deschutes Hop Henge Imperial IPA is notably better.

Dead Guy Ale is too malty and sweet, and I can't drink fat tire.

I guess thats whats so awesome about beer. So many styles we can all find ones we like. I don't want to come across as a d*ck, I'm just saying what I do and don't like.

Mirror Pond Pale Ale is fantastic.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It sounds like you like low gravity beers with little bitterness.

Other things you might think about trying are wheat beers (you probably won't like hefeweisen, but give it a shot). I'm thinking something like Goose Island's 312 might be up your alley.

Also, if brewing, try to keep your original gravity around below 1.045 or so and your IBU's below 23 or so. Basically, probably 1 ounce of hops should be plenty for your tastebuds.

Try Spaten Oktoberfest.

Also try a Maibock. Maibocks are higher in alcohol, but tend to be pretty light and smooth. You may enjoy it, but I'd bet you'd find most to be too hoppy.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Also try a Maibock. Maibocks are higher in alcohol, but tend to be pretty light and smooth. You may enjoy it, but I'd bet you'd find most to be too hoppy.
Maibock is probably my favorite type of beer. I lament my lack of lagering ability. However, my tastes are pretty much opposite to msmith81's: I like beers that are hoppy, big, dark, or all of the above. I guess I like anything that has some real substance to it.

For the record, msmith81, try a bunch of IPAs. Lots of people (myself included) don't care for them initially, but once you become a hophead, you'll never go back.
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton
Maibock is probably my favorite type of beer. I lament my lack of lagering ability. However, my tastes are pretty much opposite to msmith81's: I like beers that are hoppy, big, dark, or all of the above. I guess I like anything that has some real substance to it.

For the record, msmith81, try a bunch of IPAs. Lots of people (myself included) don't care for them initially, but once you become a hophead, you'll never go back.
If he's not digging pale ales, I don't see him getting on board with IPA's.... At least not yet. Don't worry though, msmith. We'll convert you yet. You'll be an EAC in no time!

Cheers!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
If he's not digging pale ales, I don't see him getting on board with IPA's.... At least not yet. Don't worry though, msmith. We'll convert you yet. You'll be an EAC in no time!

Cheers!
Exactly my point: if you don't like it now, keep trying it now and then, and you'll fall in love with it like the rest of us.
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 851 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You definitely have to give IPAs a chance about once every couple months. You start adjusting to flavors and I think we all end up liking them eventually. I think the brewing experience just opens you to more hop flavor and aroma.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
msmith81
Recipes 

Sitting around tonight, I had a Sam Adams Pale Ale (after a large Baileys Irish Cream over ice). I just don't get it. To me it was overly flat, not carbonated enough, flavor is muddy, and it lingers after you drink it. Half hour later and I'm still getting that sour flavor. Which is strange, because it wasn't sour on the way down.... Anyway, drinkable, but not exciting. I'd have to say it doesn't do anything well, but it doesn't go out of its way to be too offensive either, excusing the after taste.

I think the things I enjoy most seem to be the better end of the lagers and pilsners. My two favorite micros are a Helles and a bohemian pilsner. To me, a Labatts Blue has more flavor then this SA Pale Ale. For the most part, I tend to reject Ale. I had some brown ale, and it was so boring I thought. Yawn inducing, drinkable but I'd probably order a Mountain Dew first.

I don't know, I'm pretty hit and miss. There's stuff I really like from one brewer, and I'll try it from another and won't even bat an eye. None of it offends my tastes, but it'll just leave me yawning. Like most ales. But there's lots of other stuff that turns my nose up. Becks and Rolling Rock come to mind when I tried them, and oddly they seem like something that'd be in the catagory I like. Both highly overrated and I'll say it... sucked.

What I can't pin down is what makes me actually like one beer from another. Others here mention malt, hops, ex... But to me, it's mostly the whole flavor at once that gets my attention. I can't break stuff down into pieces for the most part. I get an overall package deal, and if there's a weak part to it, I tend to not like it as a whole. I must be strange or something. I really seem to go after the individual brew instead of the catagory.

And unfortunetly, being 15-20 miles north of Dayton, most of our options come from Kroger's beer isle, minus one or two stores I can think of.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith81
I don't know, I'm pretty hit and miss. There's stuff I really like from one brewer, and I'll try it from another and won't even bat an eye. None of it offends my tastes, but it'll just leave me yawning. Like most ales. But there's lots of other stuff that turns my nose up. Becks and Rolling Rock come to mind when I tried them, and oddly they seem like something that'd be in the catagory I like. Both highly overrated and I'll say it... sucked.
Both of those beers come in non-brown bottles. This means that they are always lightstruck. Light struck beers have a skunky taste/smell that the commercial brewers try to convince us is part of the "flavor profile".

So you don't like skunky beer. That's not surprising to me. For what it's worth, Heinekin, Corona, St. Pauli Girl and Warsteiner(?) are skunky beers too.

Quote:
What I can't pin down is what makes me actually like one beer from another. Others here mention malt, hops, ex... But to me, it's mostly the whole flavor at once that gets my attention. I can't break stuff down into pieces for the most part. I get an overall package deal, and if there's a weak part to it, I tend to not like it as a whole. I must be strange or something. I really seem to go after the individual brew instead of the catagory.
Nothing strange about that. Your ability to discern individual tastes will come with time. Me, I started out liking malty beers and that led me to discover sweet stouts, which led me to trying a lot of things, which led to IPA's which I didn't like, which led me to ESB's which I loved, which led me Sweet Brown ales, which led me to English Browns, which led me to the less sweet stouts and porters, etc... It just takes experimentation.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like all kinds, depending on my mood and the situation. I like a hoppy IPA sometimes, but have never been a huge fan of Sierra Nevada. I think Coors Original is a fantastsic beer, and definitely the best of the macro brews.

Quick Reply