The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where do the micros get their yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Is there a way a homebrewer could keep yeast long term? For example if I only used london ale yeast and wanted to grow my own. Would it be as simple as saving a yeast cake? What about the rule of only using it for a few times?

While yeast is not that expensive it is about a 3rd of my brew cost, it would be great to have a large supply of my own to draw from.
You can always wash your yeast (do a keyword search of these forums!), then save it in the fridge for maybe a month before using it again. Then just do a starter and get the viable yeasts going again, and repitch.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
You can always wash your yeast (do a keyword search of these forums!), then save it in the fridge for maybe a month before using it again. Then just do a starter and get the viable yeasts going again, and repitch.

So save my current large yeast, then take a small portion of that and do a starter? I figure I probably have 2 quarts of clean yeast left after fermentation is done. I could wash that then use portions.. Gotcha.

Do you think that is how they do it? I saw on modern marvels the guys was spooning it from a freakin bucket. Must have been 4 Gallons of yeast!

Old 10-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

there are also some people who grow it in slants and have many, many vials they can use. Just google yeast slants.

caution on the other technique. Supposedly it starts to mutate after about three generations and you should buy more at that time.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
there are also some people who grow it in slants and have many, many vials they can use. Just google yeast slants.

caution on the other technique. Supposedly it starts to mutate after about three generations and you should buy more at that time.

I've heard the generation thing as well. If I save a large batch and take samples from it to use, then it is still just the second generation right? How does that whole thing get impacted by starters and such? How is white labs growing a bucket full of yeast?

Quick Reply