New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where did my esters go?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
ny101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Where did my esters go?!

Hey Guys,

I have kind of a strange issue. So I brewed a hefeweizen recently which came out pretty well. I used Wyeast 3068 pitched from a 2l starter.

It came in pretty nice when all was said and done, a touch of banana and some other esters which were really only present in the aroma (slightly so in the flavor, but as I understand it, still in style).

It fermented until terminal gravity, aged for 1 week, and transferred to a keg. Carbed it up over 2 weeks, and kept the keg at about ~40. It had the ester profile for about ~2 weeks but the strangest thing happened. I drew a pint yesterday, and it had almost 0 ester aroma or flavor... it was gone.

The other thing I noticed is that the yeast dropped out of suspension completely (crystal clear). I was able to just invert the keg which solved that problem, but I didn't expect it to drop. The last time I this yeast it stayed in suspension almost the entire time I had it in the keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 116

The banana ester, isoamyl acetate, is one of the quickest fading esters found in beer. Having a low initial concentration of this ester could contribute to the quick fade.

What yeast are you using? Hefe yeasts have very low flocculation, although with enough time at cool temps, most things will drop out of solution.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Mmmmmm Kristalweizen....

Fermenting: Kolsch #2, Brett Saison, Helles #3
Bottled: Josef's Helles 2, Black Heart Porter, Little Sparrow Saison, Rye Saison, Sculpture RIPA #4, Funk Kolsch
On the mind: Brett Drie Saison, Russian Imperial Saison (need to finish off some 3711)
ny101 Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
ny101
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
The banana ester, isoamyl acetate, is one of the quickest fading esters found in beer. Having a low initial concentration of this ester could contribute to the quick fade.

What yeast are you using? Hefe yeasts have very low flocculation, although with enough time at cool temps, most things will drop out of solution.
I used Wyeast 3068. The description says overpitching can cause a loss of the banana ester almost completely... which is what I experienced.

I can't imagine I over-pitched with just a 2L starter though (for 4.5 gal @1.052).

Old 09-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Considering ester production is associated with yeast cell growth and division, and not fermentation itself, that is a large starter for a beer of that gravity.

One technique for encouraging ester production is to under-pitch. Although this can cause a whole variety of other issues.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Vigo_Carpathian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Fermentation temperature will effect the amount of esters you get. Hefs should typically be brewed slightly warmer if you're looking for a more pronounced ester profile.

Quick Reply