Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where are All the Women?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
treehouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Where are All the Women?

I've noticed an interesting, somewhat disturbing fact that many, if not most of the posters on this forum are men. Don't women do homebrew? I would think that making homebrew would appeal to women who like good food, good times and the finer things in life would be into this fascinating hobby.

I guess the fact is that most women don't really drink beer. I once had a party and my roomate at the time bought a case of Bud Light. What is that stuff for I asked? He said it was for the women who would be coming to the party. They apparently liked the stuff. Sure enough they went for the Bud Light just like he said even though there were many, many different types of beer.

There are exceptions of course. My second wife drank A LOT of beer and even made a batch of homebrew (a Stout) one time. Turned out really good too.

Anyway, was just wondering...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2006, 02:49 AM   #2
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
I've noticed an interesting, somewhat disturbing fact that many, if not most of the posters on this forum are men. Don't women do homebrew? I would think that making homebrew would appeal to women who like good food, good times and the finer things in life would be into this fascinating hobby.

I guess the fact is that most women don't really drink beer. I once had a party and my roomate at the time bought a case of Bud Light. What is that stuff for I asked? He said it was for the women who would be coming to the party. They apparently liked the stuff. Sure enough they went for the Bud Light just like he said even though there were many, many different types of beer.

There are exceptions of course. My second wife drank A LOT of beer and even made a batch of homebrew (a Stout) one time. Turned out really good too.

Anyway, was just wondering...
They are all at my house waiting for me to get home

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 AM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

We have a few women, but they're few and far between. Brewing screams MEN. There is fire, alcohol, heavy lifting and gadgets. What else could you want??

...besides that - doing that to beer would be disgusting.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have found that most females don't normally want to drink huge amounts of liquid. Maybe I am wrong? "Was wrong once before - I thought that I had made a mistake!"

I had one gf that could drink 10 pints and still be able to hold a coherent conversation (well, that is what it sound like to me anyway). My wife drinks beer and can knock over a six pack from time to time.

If 80% of the population drink beer and 5% of these people brew their own and 50% of the population is female then I need to do some maths and my brain hurts just now (at work programming and there is no more room for extra stuff up there!)

Primary
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled

Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There are plenty of women on the boards, some are even regular posters. You also have to remember, you can't assume gender on a message board, there might be women on here who just haven't announced that they are women.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 12-14-2006, 03:30 AM   #6
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
There are plenty of women on the boards, some are even regular posters. You also have to remember, you can't assume gender on a message board, there might be women on here who just haven't announced that they are women.

Exactly right. Who would want to expose themselves to this lot of disgusting ba$tards?

Kidding of course, I think we do a pretty good job at not being a boys club around here. And by my observation the Ladies that are regular posters have a great knowledge of homebrewing, and a terrific sense of humor to go with it. (Why else would they put up with us ? )

I just wish more people (both female and male) would sign up. Has anyone ever watched the visitor count here during the day? It can get beefy at times.

Think about all of those people spreading the word of this hobby/sport/obsession just by spending some quality time at work, on the computer, checking out HBT?

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 12-14-2006, 03:31 AM   #7
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
True. Must learn to switch my PC off at home to stop them using it!

Primary
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled

Old 12-14-2006, 03:35 AM   #8
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
We have a few women, but they're few and far between. Brewing screams MEN. There is fire, alcohol, heavy lifting and gadgets. What else could you want??

...besides that - doing that to beer would be disgusting.
Good point. I never really looked at it that way. Fire, alcohol, muscles and gadgets. Cool. I guess there aren't any firearms involved and I think that is a good idea. Plus what an opportunity to do something stupid. Homebrew: A wealth of opportunities.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #9
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
Cool. I guess there aren't any firearms involved and I think that is a good idea. Plus what an opportunity to do something stupid. Homebrew: A wealth of opportunities.

I don't know. I'm sure someone somewhere has mashed in then taken a little target practice.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 AM   #10
Pedro-

Recipes 

For now my fiance loves the beer I brew, she just let's me brew it.

She thinks it's all pretty cool, follows along from time to time, and makes the trips to the HBS with me but let's me have fun doing the dirty work! Matter of fact the lady at the local HBS asked where she was today since she didn't come along!

I'm sure she will get into it sooner or later, but for now I have the hobby all to myself... just not the finished product heh.

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Quick Reply