Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When this will end?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Obliviousbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Default When this will end?

Hi guys/girls:

I started been interested in craft beers a few years ago and this year I started brewing, (all grain all the way from batch nº1).
Since I started brewing I have tried to bring more and more control to my process and I´m actually seeing a lot of improvment in my results (thanks HBT).
First was all grain just playing with my equipment and mill but not controlling fermentations temps and using dry yeast, when the summer started I make my ferm chamber (an old fridge actually), started using liquid yeast, making starters and pitching the correct amount of yeast.
Then I started washing yeast and harvesting yeast from comercial brews, now I´m about to start my yeast bank and kegging, on christimas I´ll have my RO system and I have started reading a lot about water chemestry.
I brew every week sometimes twice a week, and every time that I look there is something else I can do to improve my beer and everyday.
My question is: Will it be someday when I learn enough to loose interested in brewing? Doesn´t seem probable to me at the moment but my "learning curve" it´s not far away from it´s peak.
I know there is a ton of info and things to learn and that I will never know it all but I also know that I have limitations. What you more expeirienced brewers think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I think there's always something to new to learn in brewing. Speaking in general terms, what you say about the learning curve and peaking out in a learning curve can happen in any activity/hobby. In other activities it seems like it's just when you think you know everything about it that suddenly you break through and learn something else or think of it a different way and you realize you have actually just brushed the surface. The riskiest part in the learning curve then in my opinion is when you think you have learned it all. Yes that can make your interest in the activity decrease if you're that kind of person, but it also makes it hard to continue learning when you think you've already learned it all because your mind closes to alternative techniques and information that might conflict with what you already believe to be true.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

You are rigth I think the most important thing it´s try to be humble all the time specially when you enjoy something so much that you can´t be objective about it. For instance I´ve found a lot of brewers that sure to God that their brews are great and they just feel like ok brews to me... that made me thing that even if I feel that I have brew something great there is big chance that it´s my heart speaking and not my brain, just like having kids and thinking highly of them even knowing that they are just average.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

I haven't reached a point of boredom yet, or learned enough to lose interest. Just when I feel sort of comfortable with a process, something new challenges me. I've been getting into water chemistry, and I could always try yeast ranching. I'm a beginner in many areas, like triple decoction mashing, yeast ranching, and water chemistry, and there are many more areas that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface yet.

Obliviousbrew Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not only do I continue to learn new things after 10 or so years of homebrewing, but sometimes things you think you know get challenged, brewing myths debunked, and new ideas born. It's an always evolving hobby on both the artistic and scientific frontiers. All I really know is there's still always a lot left to learn!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies guys/girls I really love beer and brewing more than anything else I had love in my entire life and just the idea of getting tired of this some day breaks my heart.
I´ve even learn english to be able to read some books (there is very little info in spanish) I´ve started brewing this year but I´ve been reading for a loooonggg time(and saving money to get my equipment).
Your answers have brougth peace to my heart

Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Homebrewing keeps changing, so there are always new yeasts, new specialty grains and new "hot" styles to try.

Maybe you can translate some of the more popular books. Might be some coin in it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Obliviousbrew Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Maybe you can translate some of the more popular books. Might be some coin in it.
Yeah, so far I´m translating parts of books for friends, but my english is not good enough for "formal" translations. I yet have to take my first english class. Self teach all the way.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1930 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1053

I can see some people getting bored with it after a while. People who don't care to push their personal limits, or people who just move on to the next thing.

But Homebrewing is like art. If you love it, then you do it just to see what you can create. There are finite possibilities, but they are so vast as to be practically limitless. Tastes evolve and new equipment, ingredients and techniques pop up now and again to help keep things fresh.

I wish I could brew more often, but I am the only one in my house drinking beer and I don't have the time right now to brew as often as I wish. So I spend my limited free time in building an upgraded system unless I am in need to more beer and someday I will change my process to fit my equipment and make brewing easier and hopefully more consistent, which makes creating better beer easier.

I can see this hobby lasting for many years to come, but at some point I'll more or less just be brewing and focusing more of my time on other hobbies, rather than spending it in equipment upgrades and learning.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1930 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1053

FYI, I just now noticed that you are not an natural English speaker. Your English is very good. Probably better than some Americans on this forum!

Quick Reply