The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When to step up started?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
aeviaanah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default When to step up started?

Without measuring starter intermittently when can I know when I'm ready to decant and step up?

I'm trying to figure out when to begin my first starter so It can be ready by brew day. I need a 2 step starter.

422 billion yeast cells needed. Ill be pitching 2 Wyeast smack packs into 1.5L starter. 2nd step will be 1.5 as well. Viability is around 50% on each pack. This should leave me with 470 billion cells.

http://hopville.com/brewer/aeviaanah

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeviaanah View Post
Without measuring starter intermittently when can I know when I'm ready to decant and step up?

I'm trying to figure out when to begin my first starter so It can be ready by brew day. I need a 2 step starter.

422 billion yeast cells needed. Ill be pitching 2 Wyeast smack packs into 1.5L starter. 2nd step will be 1.5 as well. Viability is around 50% on each pack. This should leave me with 470 billion cells.
Three days for each step should be fine. Especially on a stir plate. If you take initial and final gravity readings it can give you a much better idea of the cell count. There are about 1 billion cells grown for every gram of sugar consumed. There is a table in my book that you can look up the OG and FG with either a refractometer or a hydrometer and find the number of cells grown. It will be available next month.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 08-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
aeviaanah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
Three days for each step should be fine. Especially on a stir plate. If you take initial and final gravity readings it can give you a much better idea of the cell count. There are about 1 billion cells grown for every gram of sugar consumed. There is a table in my book that you can look up the OG and FG with either a refractometer or a hydrometer and find the number of cells grown. It will be available next month.
THankyou for the response

Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 150

What are you brewing? 470 billion cells is a lot. Are you using a stirplate? I go 18-24 hours, chill overnight, decant and start the next step, decant for the next step or if the step was over 1 liter. So about 4 - 5 days for a 2 step starter.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
aeviaanah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
What are you brewing? 470 billion cells is a lot. Are you using a stirplate? I go 18-24 hours, chill overnight, decant and start the next step, decant for the next step or if the step was over 1 liter. So about 4 - 5 days for a 2 step starter.
1.050 Pilsner. I chose lager using yeastcalc. It calls for 470 billion.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 114

24 hrs on a stirplate, 12-18 hrs. chill / decant (decant when beer atop yeast is crystal clear), repeat for multiple steps.

For lagers, I bought a 1 gal jug with a fairly flat bottom and use it for my starter, works great.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 09-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 150

470 billion sounds good without double checking for a lager. I find that 18-24 hours on a stirplate. Chill overnight to a day until the starter wort is pretty clear, decant and start the next step. So usually it is 2 days per step for me. I find yeastcalc.com does a good job for me. I have a 2 liter flask, so I work around what it will handle.

I have a fermentation chamber and have my first lager going right now. It is having trouble getting the low temperatures I want for lagers so I am putting them on hold until I get a freezer for a fermentation chamber. I might then need a larger flask!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
aeviaanah
Recipes 

would it be detrimental to chill 2 days after the last step?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeviaanah View Post
would it be detrimental to chill 2 days after the last step?
Not at all. I've actually seen better performance from yeast that was allowed to run to completion and refrigerated compared to active yeast.

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...rt-1-of-4.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Quick Reply