The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When people say it tastes like a...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Halbrust
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default When people say it tastes like a...

When people say your home beer tastes like a guiness, or a heineken, or a hoegaarden, or a bud light... and you know it doesn't (or shouldn't) at all.

What do you say?

I haven't had it happen yet, mainly because I'm the least beer knowledgable amongst my friends. But I know I've said it before.

There are idiots who are talking out there *censored*, ignore or ridicule them as you wish.

But the rest of the people are trying to associate a taste. I think you should ask them how it tastes like a _______ compared to another beer they like.

If they say your saison tastes like a bud or bud light, they may be picking up the familiarity of pilsner malt.

If they say your oatmeal stout tastes like a brown ale, they may be collating the nutty flavors that can be present in each.

If there beer referrences are Coors and Guinness then your IPA is going to taste like a Coors, and your wee heavy is going to taste like a Guinnes. Both are wrong, and can be insulting. But if you can add context to there comment they may have some interesting insight.

Also new beer drinkers are hesitant to use certain terms to describe a beer, especially YOUR beer-to YOU. Imagine never having tasted a saison... your friend gives you a beer they made... how do you tell them it tastes like sweat? Hell, it's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that I like drinking something that tastes like sweat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

More often than not, my beers get compared /likened to Fat Tire, especially pale ales, browns and IPAs. I will try to head this off by explaining a little bit of what the flavor profile is supposed to be like before I hand them the beer.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Or having someone say my merlot tasted like blackberries.

Which was good, because it was a blackberry cider.

I don't worry about it. They don't like what I make, they can bring their own beer/cider/wine to the party.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 4028

I admit it, I can be a jerk about it.

I had a guy tell me that an IPA I made was like Bud. I said, "yeah. but with more color, flavor, aroma, and alcohol. and it doesn't taste like rotten butt."

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...
People Like This 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I was recently told my hopped up red ale tasted like a DFH 75 min ipa, somewhere between the 60 and 90. I thanked him and took it as a compliment. There were only 4 oz of hops in the boil. Half chinook, half liberty. I think it might be more of a 45 min. Haha.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I just suspend my inner beer geek and thank them for their feedback. Recently took an assortment of my brews to a party full of BMC drinkers who were very appreciative. Got a lot of compliments and had it compared to a lot of beers that weren't similar and took comfort from the fact that a lot of people had more than one. That says to me a lot more than any comparison could.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 188

^ Agreed. I just roll with it. Not that serious to me as a hobbyist.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 97

What about educating them?!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Who give a **** what other people say? Not everyone on this planet is as knowlegable, or even as passionate about beer as we might be. SO they just might not have the palate or understanding, or "proper" language, nor do they more than likely care.

They're probably, paying you a compliment in the language they know. To them, Guinness, or Stella, or Hoegaarden, or Bud Light ARE good beers. In fact they are, or else they wouldn't be as popular as they are. Just because a beersnob looks down on those beers (I actually enjoy all of those, except Bud light, and rice adjuncted lagers in general) doesn't mean they aren't well crafted, excellent examples of their styles. It just means some ***hat thinks they're better than the person who drink them. But to the person who enjoys those beers, and is comparing yours to them, that's a good thing.

There are three types of people on this planet, those who care about beer passionately, so much so, that they live and breathe it, and know a lot about it. Some who just drink beer, and those who don't like beer.

Save your in depth conversations with the like minded ones, accept what the other people have to say, especially if they're trying to be kind, and supportive, and if anyone is looking to be taught, the teach them...but ONLY the ones that really want to be, don't try to ram it down people's throats if they aren't interested, then you just come off as a berrsnob/hipster douche.

It's not our job to be zealots for the world of beer, we're not out to "convert the masses." And noone likes someone who comes off as superior about something that they find inconsequential. Some people just like to drink beer, not analyze it's tiny minutiae. Share at the level of the people around you. Most of my friends are as passionate about beer and brewing as I, am, so that's who gets all the beer geek passion stuff from me. The rest of my friends just get the part of me that WE have in common.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
jkendal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
When people say your home beer tastes like a guiness, or a heineken, or a hoegaarden, or a bud light... and you know it doesn't (or shouldn't) at all.

What do you say?
You say thank you. Now if they say your homebrew tastes like toe jam, give 'em a fat lip.....

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

People Like This 

Quick Reply