Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When is it mine to name?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
millhouse46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When is it mine to name?

I have brewed about a dozen beers and they have all been extract and partial mash kits or using someone else's recipe from a book or magazine. How much modification to a recipe does it take for me to give it my own name?
Its not a huge deal but i have a small problem giving someone else's beer recipe my own name.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse46 View Post
I have brewed about a dozen beers and they have all been extract and partial mash kits or using someone else's recipe from a book or magazine. How much modification to a recipe does it take for me to give it my own name?
Its not a huge deal but i have a small problem giving someone else's beer recipe my own name.
If you brewed it, it's yours.
Ramitt Likes This 
Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
firebirdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

haha Good question. I'd say use your better judgement. Though you could alter one ingredient and "call it your own", I don't think it would be "right" to post it online as your own with a new name. Example, adding 3 extra ounces of cascade at the 10min mark wouldn't be enough IMO to consider that a different recipe.

If you change two or three things in the recipe, then it starts to become something completely different. If you used different amounts of a couple ingredients, maybe altered the timing a little and possibly used a different yeast.... even though it's very similar, it's quite a bit different.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
rwinzing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think it is totally up to you. You brewed the beer no matter anything else. If you want to give it a name then give it a name. Most brews are just little differences of another. As long as you are not selling it as your recipe I have no issue with it. I have created recipes and I have made kits my water is different I do things differently at the end of the day it is my beer.

Just my opinion

Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
haha Good question. I'd say use your better judgement. Though you could alter one ingredient and "call it your own", I don't think it would be "right" to post it online as your own with a new name. Example, adding 3 extra ounces of cascade at the 10min mark wouldn't be enough IMO to consider that a different recipe.

If you change two or three things in the recipe, then it starts to become something completely different. If you used different amounts of a couple ingredients, maybe altered the timing a little and possibly used a different yeast.... even though it's very similar, it's quite a bit different.
Oh, I agree. I wouldn't repost it as an original recipe online, but I would still consider it "your" beer. Your techniques and water chemistry make it original.

One funny story is that a couple of years ago a guy asked me for help to convert one of my recipes to extract. I did that. He asked me about slightly different hops as that is what he had. I worked up a nice recipe for him. Then, he posted it on this forum as his, calling it something like, "MY clone". I didn't really care, but it was my recipe completely and I even reworked it for him! It made me laugh.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 157

If you alter anything to make a change for your tastes I would say that it is now your recipe. \

If that bothers your conscience you could add an * and give the originator some credit.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I think you can label the beer you make what ever pleases you no matter where the recipe comes from. Not sure it is gong to matter to most people. I have a brown ale and a centennial IPA recipe on the database called Brown Ale and Centennial IPA., if you make either and want to label it millhouse46 Deer Droppings ale I do not care, just as long as it pleases you and you enjoy making and drinking it. I don't even care if you call it your recipe, its about enjoying and sharing great beer that you brewed yourself! So brew on and enjoy.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Totally up to you. I like to give the originator credit, especially if I'm making a label, even if I made a change or two. Then I get people asking "Why Deception Cream Stout?", or "What's a Yooper?" Makes for some fun conversations.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Billy Mays used to have a TV show where they would take inventors ideas and help develop and sell them to the public. On one show, they had a problem with a patent already existing on a wrench device that a little boy invented that worked like a swiss army knife (multiple wrenches, single handle). The patent search on it discovered there was another patent filed for such a device.

They got around it by making three unique changes to the design. I guess that patent law states it has to be different from the original patent in three distinct ways in order to be considered a new patent.

If it bothers your conscience, you can make three changes to the recipe and feel secure in the knowledge that it's really "your" recipe.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with most of what's above. If you brewed it, call it whatever you like. Label it whatever you like, give it to your friends with whatever name you like emblazoned on the bottles. But, if you've started with someone else's recipe and made some minor adjustments, it's good to let people know what you started with, what you did, and what changes that made to the flavour profile. That being said, I'm sure that alot of us have independently come up with very similar recipes from time to time, without ever having looked at the ones that were about the same.

Quick Reply