New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When i first started brewing......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default When i first started brewing......

WHen I first started brewing I made a beer everyone loved! It was my first recipe I made. I kinda looked online, took someone else's recipe I thought looked good and tweaked it to make it my own.
I had no idea what I was doing. I was brewing with my step dad, which.....apparently had no idea what he was doing either. (I found this out now) .....well....,maybe he knew what he was talking about but was trying to be nice and told me it was a 4% beer.
I looked back at the original recipe and notes from my brewing day and weeks after.
OG 1.023
FG 1.001

When I went to the store with my recipe I came back with all grains....no extract? I thought it was a little weird but went with it anyways. I crammed about 9lbs of grains in my 5 gallon pot. I didn't have a big enough grain bag so I used my moms stockings. I actually had to put 4.5 lbs of grains in one at a time. I can't recall the timing of which I did this. As you can see from my gravity readings , my efficiency was NOT GOOD.

All in all I had no idea what I was doing but I had quite a laugh when I looked back at my recipe and procedures. I'm gonna make this beer again but do it right this time. Hopefully everyone still enjoys it!

Anyone else have a story like this?

Cheers!

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Dan

Recipes 

Liked 1680 Times on 1046 Posts
Likes Given: 2443

Thanks for sharing. Awesome story. I don't have anything that interesting but one of the first AG beers I made was suppose to be a SNPA clone. It ended up tasting nothing like a pale ale, let alone a SNPA but it was delicious in a different sort of way. Very malty, ABV was around 3.5% not hoppy at all. Can't remember where I found the recipe and have searched a few times.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My first beer I forgot to add the flavor hops. Haha.

When you drank it, it went like this:"Mmmmhmmm, malty, bitter.....nothing...aroma".

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
dryboroughbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I first started brewing (well the first year anyway), I made an 11% RIS, put it in the closet to age a bit prior to bottling. I found it 2 weeks ago (4 years later). Amazingly it's not infected, it is however really oxidized, I'm trying to decide if I should bottle it anyway.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
NoHawk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Four years later? Woah...

I'd say bottle it anyways. Whether it's good or bad, it'd be nice to find out. If you toss it, you'll never know.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
johndavies86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Worth bottling after four years

Quick Reply