Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When a great beer doesn't place in a competition....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #31
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

...or you could wait to get your scoresheets back. How is anyone here supposed to know why your beer didn't medal? Are you operating under an assumption we all possess mental superpowers far beyond those of your average human? Because, I just need to set you straight on that and let you know that is not the case for at least 51% of the people on this border, possibly more, but I am estimating.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I personally don't brew for competitions at all. I brew beers that I want to drink, and then if a competition is coming around that I feel like entering, I will enter one of those beers in an appropriate category.
Me too. And then you have to add in the "was I too lazy to bottle?" and "is the dropoff point really near my house?" questions to see if I'll bother competing.

Hell, the Maltose Falcons just had their Doug King event, and with their convoluted style guidelines I have a session red that *finally* fits a category (since it doesn't fit right in American Amber Ale for BJCP). But hell, I'm not driving all the way up to Culver City to drop off my entry!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
Me too. And then you have to add in the "was I too lazy to bottle?" and "is the dropoff point really near my house?" questions to see if I'll bother competing.

Hell, the Maltose Falcons just had their Doug King event, and with their convoluted style guidelines I have a session red that *finally* fits a category (since it doesn't fit right in American Amber Ale for BJCP). But hell, I'm not driving all the way up to Culver City to drop off my entry!
Correction: the competition is actually tomorrow (I'm judging). I agree about driving to Culver City. It's fine if you live in the area, and a traffic nightmare otherwise.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #34
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
That said, I have judged English styles in competition and if you think fruity, bitter, oxidized, overly caramelly beer should score well then I'm sorry you don't have a better pool of judges in your area.
I was being sarcastic about that 'how to brew' comment; obviously there are homebrewers making quality English style beer and being rewarded for it. After all, well-made beer wins competitions, regardless of how accurate it is to the real stuff.

Although, I wouldn't mind that "better pool of judges in my area."

Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #35
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Interesting that you thought I was attacking you. I'm genuinely sorry you took it that way. It really wasn't my intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
So it seems to me that some people here think I'm crying and whining because I wasn't voted prettiest girl at the party and that I feel the judges personally victimized me at the competition. That's just ridiculous. If you reread the title of the thread and the first sentence, it was really intended to be more of a semantic debate.

Obviously if my beer didn't win, it wasn't the "best." I have no illusions of grandeur that I'm going to be the next Jamil or whatever.

But it was f*&%ing delicious.

So thus the debate, can a beer truly be "great" if it doesn't medal? Or are competitions just petty dick waggling contests?

Especially the post below. No need to be such an ass, you're turning my simple question into a personal attack. Take a deep breath.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #36
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Yes, a beer can be great and not medal. It happens all the time. It doesn't even have to be a style issue, either. I have had a beer score a 40 in competition and not even get an honorable mention, because there were 4-5 other beers in the same category that were also great.
Exactly!! I think what matters more than "winning" is your score. Would you rather medal with a 33 pt beer or receive a 40+ point score and not medal? I have struck out with beers that have gotten in the high 30's and meads in the low 40's. The point is that you don't know what your competition is!!

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #37
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Exactly!! I think what matters more than "winning" is your score. Would you rather medal with a 33 pt beer or receive a 40+ point score and not medal? I have struck out with beers that have gotten in the high 30's and meads in the low 40's. The point is that you don't know what your competition is!!
I don't agree with this. First of all, it's a competition. As much as the PC group would like to make you think we're all winners, it just ain't so.

But more important is that the actual number is somewhat subjective and can vary from judge to judge. Some judges are free with their scores in the 40's. Others reserve them so there's a place to go if something better comes along that wow's them even more. Either way, it doesn't matter, as long as the judging is consistent. You're being judged equally against the other beer in your flight. From table to table, competition to competition, region to region you will see differences in scoring style. This is why when there are several tables for a category that advance to a mini-BOS the scores don't follow to the new table. It becomes a clean slate with the new round of judging. The actual number from that first round doesn't mean a thing, just that the beer was scored better than its peers and is good enough to advance.

Personally, I am pleased with any score of 30 and up. It lets me know that I made a really good beer. Only that on that day, someone else was better. Beyond that, the number is only the dick waggling contests mentioned earlier and doesn't mean too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCP.org
Within a mini-BOS round, the judges choose the top entries as directed by the competition director (typically, this means choosing the first, second, and third place winners). The mini-BOS judges are told the entry number and style, but not prior scores. Some competitions choose to re-label the bottles to disguise the identity of the entry so that judges will have a harder time using knowledge from the initial round of judging. This can be logistically difficult to manage, but may help ensure blind judging.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #38
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
I don't agree with this. First of all, it's a competition. As much as the PC group would like to make you think we're all winners, it just ain't so.

But more important is that the actual number is somewhat subjective and can vary from judge to judge. Some judges are free with their scores in the 40's. Others reserve them so there's a place to go if something better comes along that wow's them even more. Either way, it doesn't matter, as long as the judging is consistent. You're being judged equally against the other beer in your flight. From table to table, competition to competition, region to region you will see differences in scoring style. This is why when there are several tables for a category that advance to a mini-BOS the scores don't follow to the new table. It becomes a clean slate with the new round of judging. The actual number from that first round doesn't mean a thing, just that the beer was scored better than its peers and is good enough to advance.

Personally, I am pleased with any score of 30 and up. It lets me know that I made a really good beer. Only that on that day, someone else was better. Beyond that, the number is only the dick waggling contests mentioned earlier and doesn't mean too much.
Well the whole judging process is subjective and open to many, many variables. You are right it is a competition but just because you don't win doesn't mean your beer sucks. In fact it can be an excellent beer.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 01-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Well the whole judging process is subjective and open to many, many variables. You are right it is a competition but just because you don't win doesn't mean your beer sucks. In fact it can be an excellent beer.
That's very true. Also competions are all about having fun. Having known the above about the subjectivity of contests, I always enter the same beer in at least three comps. That way three judges give me feedback as to how it stacked up stylewise. The judges are human beer loving folks who are doing thier very best, and doing it for nothing.
Competions are also becoming more stringent because we have better judges and also better brewers....

Old 01-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #40
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Great beers can and do tank in competitions. They can be entered in the wrong category, they can fail to fit style guidelines, and they can come up against great competition.
Regardless, you should get some good feedback on your beer, and be able to understand why it didn't do well from the judging sheets.
Judging certainly is subjective, so entering multiple competitions with the same beer may be one way to get a better idea of how good your beer really is (N=9 to 12 is always better than N=3).

Quick Reply