The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When to call a failed carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #31
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahahb View Post
...It's been 8 months and still no carbing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahahb View Post
...this beer is going to need years to mature...
Something's amiss

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #32
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

I don't think any of us are saying that this always happens with high gravity beers. We're just saying that it can happen, and when it does you have a few options. You can open bottles and re-pitch, force carb individual bottles, or wait it out. For those of us that have chosen to wait it out, it can take a long while.

I've had this problem once in my brewing history, and it wasn't even high gravity. It was only a 6.5% beer. My theory was that the yeast I used was high flocculating yeast that had settled out to the point of there being very little left in suspension. On bottling day I likely racked very clear beer that had an extremely low cell count which caused an extremely slow carbonation process. The beer literally took over 10 months to carb, but it did eventually. Sure, I wasn't happy about the wait, but I had enough homebrew to keep my happy. Since then I always swish the racking cane in to the yeast cake to pick up a little yeast when racking to a bottle bucket to ensure I have a decent amount of yeast.

Of coarse the other possibility in some cases is that a person may have used a yeast that didn't have a high enough alcohol tolerance to handle the job of carbonating. In that case you can indeed re-pitch a different yeast in the bottle. In that case I would be careful not to pitch yeast that is going to massively attenuate and overcarb or dry out the beer. Maybe instead of champagne yeast I would consider using an ale yeast with a higher tolerance than the yeast used for fermentation, if at all possible.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #33
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The beauty of champagne yeast is that it has a really difficult time metabolizing complex sugars, but will tear up simple sugars in a high ABV, low ph beer in no time. I've heard wine yeast experts say that it can't even metabolize maltose.

I will say it again, if you want to speed up carbing on big beers, buy a $1.50 packet of Champagne yeast. I've had 10% Tripels carb in three days.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #34
Jsbeckton
Recipes 

A few clarifications, the beer has some carb so not completely flat and I used the same belgian strain that got it to the FG just fine (pitched fresh yeast).

If I were to try the champagne route, do I need to dump everything into a bucket and mix? seems that this would end up being oxygenated. If I had to combine all of the beer again I'd be inclined to just force carb. Then again, if those yeast ever wake up....boom!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #35
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

rehydrate the yeast and add it to the bottles with an eye dropper or your finger over a straw. Couple drops will do.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #36
Jsbeckton
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac
show me a beer that is flat at 4 months and perfectly carbed at 12 and i'll eat my hat.
Update, after oh I guess about 7 months now, the beer is carbed! Thanks everyone who convinced me to wait it out.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #37
ICWiener
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I made a barleywine about 4 months ago, same problem. 1.094 OG attenuated down to 1.017. The yeast was toast. I should've added a bottling pitch, but I just went ahead with the priming sugar. It's still nowhere close to carbed. But on the bright side the bottle that I cracked open last month tasted pretty good!

I'm gonna give it 8 months, if there's still nothing I might open them up and add 1 ml of rehydrated yeast to each bottle, then re-cap.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #38
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii
I'd eat my hat if it wasn't better carbed and better tasting in another 4 months or so..…
~I'm not gonna say anything here~

Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #39
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
~I'm not gonna say anything here~
yet, you did.

so, tell us; what is the Chapeau du Jour? and when do you expect to dine?

I just caught wind of this thread and would have reminded everyone if you hadn't brought it up.

Bon Appétit!

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #40
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

I didn't tell you guys this, but my hat is made from Doritos. So that's a big help.

Quick Reply