Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Whats your Profession?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
JollyIsTheRoger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntzBrewing
Seems like most people are Engineers of some sort on here, I myself am an Engineering Technology student at Purdue, just wondering what profession everyone is. Just trying to see if there are any correlations between professions and brewing!
Thanks!
ET at Purdue? Nice. I was in Computer Science at purdue for 2 years before I realized I hated it. Now I'm a cook for purdue. Haha alot less money but hopefully someday i'll have a brewpub to call my own. PM me sometime if you want to swap some brews.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
mike20793
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

BS and MS in structural engineering.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyIsTheRoger
ET at Purdue? Nice. I was in Computer Science at purdue for 2 years before I realized I hated it. Now I'm a cook for purdue. Haha alot less money but hopefully someday i'll have a brewpub to call my own. PM me sometime if you want to swap some brews.
I'm actually at the statewide tech school, in Kokomo! West laffayette doesn't have the ET degree yet, its a statewide only thing, its a combination of mechanical, electrical, computer, OLS, and IT. Its new so ill be in the first few class years to have it! Kinda cool

Old 01-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
HolidayIF1488
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wholesale automotive and marine broker,and freelance tattoo artist with a business management degree. Desperately pursuing a degree in brewing science since I was in junior high. The only reason I went to college was to further my chances of getting in to the brewing science program. I've been in the A&M brokers world since birth spanning 4 generations( my great grandpa x2 was ship manufacturer.)but love brewing and want to learn everything there is to know about it. So I can brew all that I can brew!:-)

Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
mountainman13
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I dropped out of college 3 times and joined the Army. After 7 years I have a Masters in BS and have somehow scored a wife with a real Masters degree to support my broke ass and all my hobbies.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #16
Jay1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wow!
I'm an Orthopedic Technician. I work for a bunch of Orthopedic Surgeons and (mostly) cast up broken bones.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #17
jmadway
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

High school administrator.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
HolidayIF1488
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I dropped out of college 3 times and joined the Army. After 7 years I have a Masters in BS and have somehow scored a wife with a real Masters degree to support my broke ass and all my hobbies.
The Misfits skull makes up for all of that. Punx not dead;-)
If you treat them right they don't care what you do& if you make them happy no matter what your hobby is they support it just to see you happy. So don't be so down on your self obviously your doing something right. Just keep her happy & she'll do the same,that's what it's all about.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayIF1488
Desperately pursuing a degree in brewing science since I was in junior high. The only reason I went to college was to further my chances of getting in to the brewing science program.
IMO I believe brewing is more "apprentice" learned work than a degree, I think it is best taught by brewing and not by book, good beer has been made for hundreds of years, and UCLA has only had a Brewing Science degree for a few years. Not to shoot u down AT ALL but I think there are plenty of books you can get cheap to learn the science and not spend $10K's. On a degree that can be self taught. Even the most successful craft brewers don't have Brewing Science degrees. If you want to open a brewery I would home brew a lot and get a degree in business/economics.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #20
HolidayIF1488
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntzBrewing

IMO I believe brewing is more "apprentice" learned work than a degree, I think it is best taught by brewing and not by book, good beer has been made for hundreds of years, and UCLA has only had a Brewing Science degree for a few years. Not to shoot u down AT ALL but I think there are plenty of books you can get cheap to learn the science and not spend $10K's. On a degree that can be self taught. Even the most successful craft brewers don't have Brewing Science degrees. If you want to open a brewery I would home brew a lot and get a degree in business/economics.
I do agree. There are only two of those programs available so my reasoning was personal knowledge not just of brewing but all of the science behind It also. I've been learning to brew all of my life as a family tradition. The reason of going was not just the degree but the privlage and experience of doing not only something I love but that very few have done, learning from the true guru's of beer. I make very good money doing what I do, and don't need a degree for it but have one in business management. I don't want to open a brewery as a profiting business it is my passion. If that explains what I was trying to say.(I guess if you did open a brewery and didn't profit it would show that no one wants to drink your beer,and all I want to do is create great beers that taste good. If no ones drinking it must not be good:-) )

Quick Reply