Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's Your preference in Pumpkin beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The one w/ no pumpkin. Oh and no spices either. Not a big fan of spiced beers. And as long as I'm on my soapbox, that DFH Raison d'Etre is some of the foulest swill I've ever had. Ugh.

my $.02

-d

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Schlafly Pumpkin will always be my favorite (support your local brewery, right?).

That being said, I like my homebrewed pumpkin the best. It's a tweaked Sahamin Pumpkin. I've tried the Ichabod, the DFH, the ST, the O'Fallon, etc, etc. Either they're too sweet/syrupy or doesn't have the right amount of spices for my liking. But, that's the great part about home brewing, you can make exactly what you want!

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
ryan83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufguss View Post
But, that's the great part about home brewing, you can make exactly what you want!
Yes! this is a fact! I love all the opinions on this thread. Soon we will brew a pumpkin beer, but I have two scheduled before it and we're doing a build on a fermentation chiller this weekend. And I agree that Pumpkin and winter ales are the better seasonal brews but i may not have tasted the right Octoberfest yet either.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #24
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've always read that Schlafly's pumpkin is a good one, and it's one of the top rated on BA. The other week while I was travelling I managed to track down a sixer of it and was very disappointed. Just way, way too sweet for my taste. I drank one bottle alongside a bottle of Weyerbacher's pumpkin and the Schlafly tasted like melted candy in comparison, although the spices and pumpkin taste were still pretty good.

My favorite is, hands down, Southern Tier Pumking. It has a unique flavor that no other pumpkin beer has ever come close to; every other one usually seems like a variation on the same "Brown ale plus spices" recipe. Can't get enough of that one.

Sixpoint also just released a really unique one. It's more of a "fall beer" than a pumpkin ale, since the focus is mostly on the wet-hops. Which is nice. Sort of a pumpkin IPA, really interesting and unusual. Wrote a full review of it on my blog ( http://www.bear-flavored.com/2011/09...on-review.html ), definitely worth checking out.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #25
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan83 View Post
And I agree that Pumpkin and winter ales are the better seasonal brews but i may not have tasted the right Octoberfest yet either.
IMO, Ayinger Oktoberfest-Marzen is the best example of the style. Try that one out if you're looking to find a good one.

Oh, and I'm going to have to say that I had O'Fallon's 2011 Pumpkin Ale... and this one is SO MUCH BETTER than their previous years attempts. I'd hate to say it, but it's better than Schlafly.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
ARgon
Royal Irish A$$
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I do like the Marzen. Picked up one of their tap handles for our fest party.

picture-4.jpg  

Rhaid wrth gof da i ddywedyd celwydd.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #27
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had ST Pumpking on tap after a huge meal of schnitzle and thuringer, and it was an awesome dessert. The aroma stayed with it the whole time, and the rich mouth feel really have it weight. I really liked.
So I raved about it to my friends and bought a 22oz. bomber. We drank it early, and not after dinner, and it was a different beer. Didn't smell, taste, or feel the same. They thought I was crazy. Really a disappointment.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Quick Reply