Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's Your preference in Pumpkin beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Pumking is very dessert-like...lots of vanilla for me. It's my favorite but I don't think I could drink a ton of them.

Weyerbacher's, Punkin, and Devious are next in line...more traditional pumpkin ales.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default oh pumpkin, oh pumpkin...

I brew up a modded Samhain pumpkin ale from HBT. It is my "bar" to judge against all the rest of the commercial beers I can find. I have been doing some traveling for work recently so I have been collecting up a BUNCH for the wife as this is one of her favy brew styles. She is convinced that my pumpkin is the best she has ever had and is looking for something that is comparible to.

Southern Teir - Pumking - NOT impressed at all. The hype adds to the disapointment. We split a 22oz. bomber and I wish I could have gotten my money back. There was something in it that numbed both my and the wife's tounge. (no, it was not ice cold ) I will NEVER spend my money on this one again...

Bluemoon - Harvest moon - Holy clove! blech. Never again. Made by BMC and it shows. 1 drink and dumped.

SA - Harvest pumpkin - Tasted like every other SA product with a slight hint of pumpkin and spices. Not impressed but did not induce vomiting.

Fishermean's - Pumpkin stout - In a class of it's own. Just fantastic. I would buy a case if it was sold anywhere near me! nice balance all around but still a stout.

We have at least 4-5 more to try the 2 I can recall are the DFH - punkin and Elysian - Night owl pumpkin ale. As a rule if it reads"Pumpkin" or a variation of it I try to get a bottle.

IMO most of the commercial brews seem to focus on amplifing 1 aspect instead of focusing in on balance, to much of X spice, to sweet, ect. Give me my Samhain Homebrew any day...lol. I like it so much I am entering it into a halloween homebrew comp just to see how it does.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dogfishhead Punkin has been my favorite. Drinkable, pumpkin with right spice. The guy at the beer store today said Terrapin is better. I comes in next week, so will have to give it a try.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
2011 ST Pumking was much better than the 2010 version, but I'd still have to say that my top pumpkin beers are Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin and New Holland Ichabod.
This is good news for me, I loved the 2009 version but hated last years!! I was like liquid candy sweet, just couldn't take it. Originally I'd thought my tastes might've changed but now I've realized that since it's an organic/grown/man made product that it will never be exactly the same from year to year. I find this years Dogfish Punkin to be weaker in flavor than subsequent years and a co-worker said the same thing to me without me even mentioning it. Who knows... maybe they used a different brand of spices, or something else that attributed to this.

Anyhow, I haven't tried Pumking this year but may give it a shot now based on your post.

Rev.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
thedude00
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1st Dogfish Punkin ale
2st Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout

Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 38

1st - CBC Great Pumpkin Ale (bottled this year for the first time ever)
2nd - Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout
3rd - Schlafly Pumpkin Ale

Old 09-24-2011, 02:13 AM   #17
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I look forward to fall for lots of reasons, but a big one is the onset of fall (although NOT oktoberfest) & winter beer season. I think this is a fascinating thread, not least b/c I expected to see people fall into various camps but it hasn't really happened.

For me, there's a difference btwn beer-as-art and session beers.

In the former, my top beers are ST Pumking, Schlafly Pumpkin Ale, and my own version of DFH Punkin' Porter.

In the latter I go with Ichabod and Buffalo Bill's.

Hopefully more people will respond as well!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
Goatey
Recipes 

I have to agree with you. I generally don't appreciate Oktoberfest beer and I think a good Pumpkin Ale is more appropriate for the season. I also think that a winter warmer ale is, by far, the best of the seasonal brews.

I appreciate fall/winter for the barleywine selection. Generally speaking I like a flavorful and hoppy pale ale, but come winter there's nothing I love more than a sweet and thick barley wine. I'm salivating just to that thought.

Brooklyn's Monster Ale and Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot are my favorites thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
I look forward to fall for lots of reasons, but a big one is the onset of fall (although NOT oktoberfest) & winter beer season. I think this is a fascinating thread, not least b/c I expected to see people fall into various camps but it hasn't really happened.

For me, there's a difference btwn beer-as-art and session beers.

In the former, my top beers are ST Pumking, Schlafly Pumpkin Ale, and my own version of DFH Punkin' Porter.

In the latter I go with Ichabod and Buffalo Bill's.

Hopefully more people will respond as well!

Beer, it does a body good.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:46 AM   #19
rocketk455
Recipes 

My favorite Pumpkin beer is made by Tommy Knocker (I can't remember the exact name right now), I did also enjoy the SA one, but our pumpkin beer choices are pretty limited around here.

Primary: Spiced Winter Ale
Bottle Conditioning:Black IPA, Graff Apple Cider
Bottled: Maple Brown Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Pumpkin Ale, Scoktoberfest Ale, Chinook IPA
Up Next: Graff Cider, Surly Bender, Jamil's Evil Twin

Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #20
tangofoxtrot308
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've only tried 3 but I think the Blue Moon pumpkin harvest was the better. I really want to like all of DFH's beer but I thnik it's all to high alcohol and over hopped JMHO.Their pumpkin had no real taste except high ABV (7%) just not for me.

"Ora et labora" (Pray and Labor)

Quick Reply