*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer
View Poll Results: What's your occupation
Engineer 1,162 40.73%
Non-Engineer 1,691 59.27%
Voters: 2853. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #921
rcbishop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I'm one. Not just in degree, but I actually design electronic devices, mostly medical. Schematic design, PCB layout, firmware, soldering, debugging. I have a 1-man consulting company. I know there are others here.

I just finished the board layout for a really cool O2 sensor tonight. It will measure the O2 concentration using light. I bounce red light off a tablet that contains a powder that fluoresces. There is a very small time lag (nanoseconds) between when the red light hits the tablet and when it floresces. I blast the tablet with a high-frequency sine wave then use FFT (fast fourier transform) to measure the lag in response. This lag is proportional to the amount of O2 where the tablet is.

The cool thing is that it can be used in liquid, so works with beer! Once I get it working I'll watch the O2 deplete in my carboy during fermentation. Can't wait.

That sounds like a cool project! I'd be interested to see what kind of readings you'd get during fermentation.

Is that the same Festo (on one of the silk layers, it looks like) that makes a lot of air cylinders and such?

Here's one of my designs -- a little embedded computer based on an ARM926 processor, meant for industrial automation. An LCD panel / touch screen connect to that pin header at the top, but they cover the entire board when they're installed. This was the first one to be built, so there's lots of little mistakes (note the wires tacked on and cartoonishly big power connector), but it does work!
13224.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #922
Brew-Jay
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Software engineer. My team designs communication systems for the Air Force.

“In Vino Veritas, In Cervesio Felicitas” — Anonymous

Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #923
beergynt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts

I have a BM in Vocal Performance so, naturally, I am a security supervisor at a nuclear plant.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #924
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

BS in math and physics, phd student in physics,

I voted enginner; I suppose I was more enginner than not.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #925
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts

not an enginer but a machinist, I make what the enginer draws, and complain about how there drawings suck and dimensions are off.
I cook constantly
I also butcher, farm, work in a book store, gunsmith, basically im a jackass of all trades

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #926
a_hard
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Chef first, health promotion second, and aircraft mechanic as a hobby. Sheetmetal stuck with me

Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #927
ckcanady
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts

Draft technician. I install draft beer systems. So draft beer engineer!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #928
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post

If you are an actual engineer you drive a train and wear a striped hat.

Seriously, I can name maybe 2-3 lifelong engineers I know personally that went through the PE process, including like a gazillion people I know that work at NASA. Are you saying NASA folks aren't engineers?
Actually yes I am saying they aren't engineers if they are not licensed.
Working in engineering, doing the work for an engineer, having an engineering degree or introducing yourself as an engineer does not make you an actual engineer.
Passing your exam and being board certified, with your license number and stamp makes you an engineer.

Those people working on design for NASA are probably working under an engineer who supervise, directs, reviews and stamps the work. He is also liable for the design.

For the record, I'm not an engineer.
I'm a land surveyor.
Same board that regulates, different profession.

The fact that they aren't engineers doesn't make their work any less important or make them less intelligent. I for one went a very long time before I took my exam and got my survey license. I was happy doing the work in the field and never saw the need to take the exam until an opportunity presented it's self and I needed my license.

Many of the fields that call them self engineers and aren't actual engineers are full of very smart people who figure out complex problems. It still doesn't change the fact that they aren't actual engineers.
Every state has a board of registration, probably a branch of department of licensing and the board is probably made up of engineers and surveyors. They oversee actual engineers ( and surveyors ) and on their web site you will find the true and legal definition of an engineer. It will be very close to the same in every state.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #929
a_hard
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps

Actually yes I am saying they aren't engineers if they are not licensed.
Working in engineering, doing the work for an engineer, having an engineering degree or introducing yourself as an engineer does not make you an actual engineer.
Passing your exam and being board certified, with your license number and stamp makes you an engineer.

Those people working on design for NASA are probably working under an engineer who supervise, directs, reviews and stamps the work. He is also liable for the design.

For the record, I'm not an engineer.
I'm a land surveyor.
Same board that regulates, different profession.

The fact that they aren't engineers doesn't make their work any less important or make them less intelligent. I for one went a very long time before I took my exam and got my survey license. I was happy doing the work in the field and never saw the need to take the exam until an opportunity presented it's self and I needed my license.

Many of the fields that call them self engineers and aren't actual engineers are full of very smart people who figure out complex problems. It still doesn't change the fact that they aren't actual engineers.
Every state has a board of registration, probably a branch of department of licensing and the board is probably made up of engineers and surveyors. They oversee actual engineers ( and surveyors ) and on their web site you will find the true and legal definition of an engineer. It will be very close to the same in every state.
Someone angry about not being in NASA?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #930
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_hard View Post
Someone angry about not being in NASA?
Not hardly.
First off, NASA doesn't have much need for land surveyors. Mars is pretty wide open and land law doesn't mean much out there!

I have no desire to work for NASA ( unless I could be an astronaut! ).
I have no interest in the type of design work these people do, no desire to work indoors all the time and no desire to live in a city.

I'm pretty happy with what I do and where I live.

I'm just saying that an engineer is an engineer and it requires board certification and a license.
The fact that someone works for NASA and does design doesn't make them an engineer.

It's not like being an engineer makes you smart.
I've known some brilliant engineers, and some that couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

It's an educated profession but it's not the only intellectual field and it's not like there are not other people who are smarter than the average engineer solving problems for a living.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Dan Likes This 

Quick Reply