What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am presently a senior marketing manager but my background is BS and MS degrees in analytical chemistry. I believe that my scientific background and knowledge makes the whole brewing process (escpecially sanitation early on) a bit easier to understand.

Right now, I'm a stay-at-home mom. I'll be a math teacher again once my kid is in school full-time. My dad was an engineer...think I picked up some quirks from him:)

Truck driver for Coca Cola. Was a AH-64A helicopter mechanic in the Army, and have been a tinkerer my entire life. Got my appreciation for REAL beer when I was stationed in Hanau, Germany.

Golf Course Superintendent. Living the dream, but it's a costly one, especially in the winter when I'm "off work" Feels like a vacation the first month or so, but after the New Year I start to lose the plot a little. Hoping the home brewing keeps me going this winter.

BS CompSci - U of Houston - Last career systems analyst and programmer.
Recently stay at home dad, and retired (translates to More Time To Brew!)

Dillonks1 said:
-1, why would they have to do a year in manufacturing?
Because it would be very helpful for engineers in understanding the practical aspect of what they're designing. I get blueprints all the time as a machinist where the manufacturing tolerances are unreasonably tight for the application making them more difficult to machine and more expensive for the customer. Having actual hands on time would help engineers design more intuitive products making the whole process run smoother. I got a blueprint the other week where a portion of the part was a threaded shaft where the diameter of the shaft was larger than the minor diameter of the threads. Or another where there was an ID undercut that was deeper than the thru-hole opening. This kind of thing.
lschiavo said:
Well, manufacturing would not relate to all fields but a sort of hands on internship program could be very helpful.

Kind of what I had in mind, not assuming that all engineers design things as straightforward as machined parts. Just some hands-on time to better connect with what they're doing.

Because it would be very helpful for engineers in understanding the practical aspect of what they're designing. I get blueprints all the time as a machinist where the manufacturing tolerances are unreasonably tight for the application making them more difficult to machine and more expensive for the customer. Having actual hands on time would help engineers design more intuitive products making the whole process run smoother. I got a blueprint the other week where a portion of the part was a threaded shaft where the diameter of the shaft was larger than the minor diameter of the threads. Or another where there was an ID undercut that was deeper than the thru-hole opening. This kind of thing.

Kind of what I had in mind, not assuming that all engineers design things as straightforward as machined parts. Just some hands-on time to better connect with what they're doing.

Previously stated does not apply to all engineers. Especially in my field. I can see what your saying though.

Recreation Program Coordinator/Recreation Center Manager and former Fitness Center Director for the Air Force.

Special Education teacher

I used to teach kids with behavior disorders now I am teach reading and English for kids who are just below grade level in hopes that after a year or two with me they can go back to the mainstream.

Civil Engineer and Land Surveyor (both in training)
BS in Civil Engineering, University of the Pacific, 2011

Not an engineer, but I play one at work!

BS Microbiology from Penn State in 2001. Currently an yeast/mammalian cell process development scientist.

Not an engineer, but in the department. Tough sense of humor those engineers have; always analyzing a joke before they laugh.

Social Studies / History Teacher, in fact none of my friends who are engineers brew. My brew friends are either other teachers or tech guys.

BS in Civil Engineering, University of Wyoming '03. Private consulting, then mining engineer, and now coal quality coordinator.

Quality Tech/Cad Tech at a Machine shop.

Associates in mech eng, and industrial design but I am a graphic artist who is taking welding courses. I should drop it all and BREW MORE but more money from better jobs = more beer widgets. (saying this as I empty out my corny of pumpkin ale).

less work:Brew more
More work: New Shiny stuff to Brew with. Talk about mixed feelings

BS Mechanical Engineer University of Houston.

I make hole, and beer.

BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Presales Technical Consultant for large IT Hardware and Software company.

Back