Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

View Poll Results: What's your occupation
Engineer 1,161 40.71%
Non-Engineer 1,691 59.29%
Voters: 2852. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #1041
fergyrock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mountain Bike Importer/Distributor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #1042
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm not an engineer but I act like one every day.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #1043
fdben
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping57 View Post
I've worked with almost all of the Dilbert characters at one time or another.
Another test for "engineerness" is if you like "Office Space". SWMBO thinks it's the dumbest movie ever; all the engineers I know love it.
Office Space and Dilbert are fantastic. It's scary how similar work can be to Dilbert...

Ben

http://engofftheclock.blogspot.ca

Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #1044
ryanmx48
Recipes 

Biotech Process Supervisor. It's like large scale homebrewing.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #1045
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3184 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2712

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I'm one. Not just in degree, but I actually design electronic devices, mostly medical. Schematic design, PCB layout, firmware, soldering, debugging. I have a 1-man consulting company. I know there are others here.

I just finished the board layout for a really cool O2 sensor tonight. It will measure the O2 concentration using light. I bounce red light off a tablet that contains a powder that fluoresces. There is a very small time lag (nanoseconds) between when the red light hits the tablet and when it floresces. I blast the tablet with a high-frequency sine wave then use FFT (fast fourier transform) to measure the lag in response. This lag is proportional to the amount of O2 where the tablet is.

The cool thing is that it can be used in liquid, so works with beer! Once I get it working I'll watch the O2 deplete in my carboy during fermentation. Can't wait.

Works! It reads the O2 concentration inside the pink pipe shown there. The graph shown is room air, then the tube flushed with Nitrogen, then room air again. 21%. Woot.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #1046
Seedly
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I did 2.5 years of ME before I realized I wasnt very good at Calculus.

However I did get my degree in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, which is kind of like "engineering for business". Been in retail merchandising/supply ever since.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #1047
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Engineering jokes?

A half glass of water would be described by an optimist as being half full, a pessimist as half empty, and by an engineer as being in a container twice as large as necessary.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #1048
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Redneck Engineering Exam

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will support a 10 pound possum.

2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on blocks in your front yard? a) '66 Ford Fairlane b) '69 Chevrolet Chevelle c) '64 Pontiac GTO

3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense the product?

4. A pulpwood cutter has chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The lot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweiser Tall-Boys will it take to cut the trees?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12 simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?

7. A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place a mobile home on the man's land?

8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding down a steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic loading of secondary roads, how many people will swerve to avoid the truck before it crashes at the bottom of the mountain? For extra credit, how many of the vehicles that swerved will have mufflers and uncracked windshields?

9. A Coal Mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?

10. How many generations will it take before cattle develop two legs shorter than the others because of grazing along a mountainside?

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #1049
brum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo_Carpathian View Post
Im a chemical engineer and work in a fermentation lab doing process development.
E Coli? I do basically CHO cell culture purification, mab/fusion protein/recombinant proteins. Some of the guys i work with previously did some e coli projects at Amgen and other companies. Were currently looking for a chem e for our downstream group.....

Originally Posted by MyNameIsPaul

We make beer in buckets with toilet parts and coolers, this might not be the best place for you.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #1050
rbaysden1
Recipes 

Coast Guard Officer that's specializes in operations ashore search and rescue/law enforcement. B.S. in Professional Aeronautics with minor in Aviation Safety, and Master in Homeland Security. I'm far from an engineer but read ALOT on home brewing, I taught myself.

Quick Reply