Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's your least favorite style and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What's your least favorite style and why?

I love all the styles, some more than others...but I truly do enjoy a well made example of every BJCP style. Currently I am going through and brewing every style there is and some I can't wait to get to...but there is one I just really have no interest in making. Witbier.

It's not that I don't like it, because I have had some fine witbiers that I did enjoy a great deal...I just have never found myself ordering a second one. There is something about the overall phenolic/peppery sensation just doesn't invite me back for more. I am thinking that if I make a batch of Witbier the keg is going to last for like a year since I never find myself just having to have a Wit.

So I am not asking if there is a style you hate and to just smash on it...but what style just doesn't do it for you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As far as brewing 5 gallons, I'd say the wheat varieties I've tried. Also barley wines. It's not that I don't like them, I just don't need 5 gallons laying around.

edit: Also, probably anything in the fruity/vegetable categories. I just don't want 5 gallons around. One offs would be fine to try.

edit again: Forgot sour beer was a style. Not for me.

edit again: American Light Lager. Again, not my thing.

Ranking: Sour Beers win because I genuinely do not like them. Hawk ptewey! Don't care for ALL, but can choke down if necessary to save a life. Others I just don't want a full batch.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know if SA Cranberry Lambic is a good representative of 17F but if so this is a style I don't foresee myself exploring.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBrain View Post
As far as brewing 5 gallons, I'd say the wheat varieties I've tried. Also barley wines. It's not that I don't like them, I just don't need 5 gallons laying around.
You bottle barley wines. You drink one every couple of months or so and by the time you're done with the batch, you've aged the few remaining bottles gracefully. It isn't a style you brew 3 times a year, but they have their place.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

IIPA. I have yet to find one that doesn't taste like hops tea. If I drink one, it feels like the enamel on my teeth is being dissolved, then my palate shuts down. And I'm a guy who likes to drink beer. So if I drink IIPA, the next six beers go by untasted, because my mouth is still numb from the hops-shock! And after three bottles I'm totally gonzo, because it's 8%+ ABV.

So yeah, you can keep the IIPA. I'll sit over here with my pint o' bitter or mild, and work on Imperial pint #5 of tasty, flavorful beer.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
I don't know if SA Cranberry Lambic is a good representative of 17F but if so this is a style I don't foresee myself exploring.
Cranberry lambic is not even a lambic. I would try another one before you make that distinction.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
It's not, at all. Please don't miss out on this style because of that abortion of a beer. The range of experimentation within 17F is almost limitless...yet Sam Adams still managed to fail at an unbelievable level.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't care for overly hopped beers, but I am not sure if IPA's really fall into that style. It has been a long time since I have had an IPA and probably stopped drinking them because of that. I think I will stop tonight for a nice IPA just to see if that was why.
I don't really like "dark" beers much either, at least not for having more than one. I now have learned my lesson not to be tempted by "winter" "Christmas" beers. They have always been dark, didn't know that.
I like Belgian and Wheat beers.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
I don't really like "dark" beers much either, at least not for having more than one.
Drink a pint of Moose Drool Brown Ale with a blindfold on, and see how you feel about "dark," beers. Dark is a shade, not a style or a flavor.

For me, it's any over the top hop-bomb. I like a nice IPA or IIPA from time to time, but I really have to be in the mood for them. That doesn't keep me from brewing them and keeping them on hand though. A good homebrew is like a good woman. Sometimes you might be in the mood for one type, sometimes another, but I like 'em all.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Drink a pint of Moose Drool Brown Ale with a blindfold on, and see how you feel about "dark," beers. Dark is a shade, not a style or a flavor.
That is why I wrote "dark" as I was not sure how to put it to a style. But it is definitely a type/kind of beer and to me has always had a pretty specific flavor I don't really crave and by no means a visual thing.

I never saw heard of that beer before but I will try it if I see it. Must be a good reason you suggest it. Do you know if it is distributed in PA/S NJ area?

Quick Reply