New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's YOUR ideal and perfect house beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
bizarrojosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default What's YOUR ideal and perfect house beer?

Hey everyone, I'm in the initial stages of creating a house brew for myself. I know everyone has different tastes and opinions, but I wanted to see what you all think a perfect house beer is. I have a few ideas but I want to hear from you!

For me the house beer needs to fit in these general categories:

1. Relatively Cheap: I don't want to spend over $30 for 5 gallons of AG brew. Ideally $20-$25 in ingredients.

2. Medium to low ABV: this is partially related to #1 since high ABV usually means more ingredients. However, I also think a house beer should be quaffable without getting totally wasted.

3. Neutral in flavor, but not bland: For a house beer to be perfect I feel that it should be able to accompany most meals. This means that it can't be too hoppy yet at the same time I don't want a watery, flavorless beer. Spices, fruit, and hops could all be used to give it that flavor.

4. Fast production time. For me, house beers should be ready to drink in 3-4 weeks. If you keg you can probably cut this time down by a week.

5. The beer should be one of the brewer's favorite styles (props to danielofthedale). If the brewer doesn't love the beer why make it just so others can drink it? I think mutuality is key for a house beer. This also gets over the issue of the plethora of styles that would fit 1-4.

So those are my 4 criterion that I sort of have to help me craft my perfect house beer. What are yours?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 397 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd say kolsch, but it might violate #4.

The Belgian Patersbier recipe from Northern Brewer would work if you like Belgian beer. Low-ABV, but full of flavor.

A session IPA would be good if you're a hop head. Might cost a booty more for all the hops unless you're buying in bulk.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
captwalt
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I vote for a simple SMaSH pale ale. 11 lbs 2row and 3 additions of .66oz cascade each for bitter, flavor and aroma. This is the new Albion recipe from BYO mag. I made it and is was fantastic, simple, quick, relatively low ABV and flavorful but no so much as to turn off casual sippers of suds while still Maintaining a great deal of Integrity. It is a very good, not the most unique or wild and crazy beer to serve but in my opinion a fantastic sessionable house beer that I intend to keep around

Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
captwalt
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 18

One more thing I forgot, it was cheap. Bulk grains and washed yeast and I made 10 gallons for about $30. I think this fits all of your criteria.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I really like Kolsch but I find that it takes about a month in primary to really get cleared up and taste just right. I cetainly make those frequently, but I don't know if I can call it a house beer, personally,

SMaSH brews are something that I'm really interested in trying out. Simple, effective, tasty, cheap. Do you have a date for that magazine? I'm not familiar with it so I don't really know what Albion means.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Wig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My house beer is a Best Bitter. It meets all your criteria except for "neutral in flavor". Unless you meant to say 'well balanced", then it does that too.

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip" -idiom

bizarrojosh Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
My house beer is a Best Bitter. It meets all your criteria except for "neutral in flavor". Unless you meant to say 'well balanced", then it does that too.
Well balanced may be the better way of expressing what I'm looking for, but at the same time, a well balanced Imperial IPA is not going to be a house beer for most people.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I will go with 1,2 and 4.
I look for an OG of about 1040,lots of hop flavour and aroma,but a wee bit unbalanced. I like 30% rye malt,10% crystal and 10% soft brown sugar fermented with Notty,hopped to about 55-60 IBUs, 2/3 of which coming in the form of something like Citra,Amarillo,Simcoe in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Grain to glass in 2 weeks 3 days. Two weeks in primary and 3 days in the bottle.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee View Post
I will go with 1,2 and 4.
I look for an OG of about 1040,lots of hop flavour and aroma,but a wee bit unbalanced. I like 30% rye malt,10% crystal and 10% soft brown sugar fermented with Notty,hopped to about 55-60 IBUs, 2/3 of which coming in the form of something like Citra,Amarillo,Simcoe in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Grain to glass in 2 weeks 3 days. Two weeks in primary and 3 days in the bottle.
So you are getting a pretty good malt flavor with all of that right? Especially with using Notty as that heightens the bready flavors. It also seems like you have lots of aroma. Do you find you can drink this with most meals or does it no pair well with most foods?

Old 07-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrojosh View Post
Hey everyone, I'm in the initial stages of creating a house brew for myself. I know everyone has different tastes and opinions, but I wanted to see what you all think a perfect house beer is. I have a few ideas but I want to hear from you!

For me the house beer needs to fit in these general categories:

1. Relatively Cheap: I don't want to spend over $30 for 5 gallons of AG brew. Ideally $20-$25 in ingredients.

2. Medium to low ABV: this is partially related to #1 since high ABV usually means more ingredients. However, I also think a house beer should be quaffable without getting totally wasted.

3. Neutral in flavor, but not bland: For a house beer to be perfect I feel that it should be able to accompany most meals. This means that it can't be too hoppy yet at the same time I don't want a watery, flavorless beer. Spices, fruit, and hops could all be used to give it that flavor.

4. Fast production time. For me, house beers should be ready to drink in 3-4 weeks. If you keg you can probably cut this time down by a week.

So those are my 4 criterion that I sort of have to help me craft my perfect house beer. What are yours?

EDIT:

Is it possible for a mod to edit my title? It should say "What's" instead of "what." My keyboard sucks! Thanks.
Ordinary bitter, pale mild, German hefeweizen, helles, kolsch, alt, table saison, dortmunder, german pils, bo pils, classic American pils, wit, Belgian pale are options.

There is no Swiss army beer. The beauty of making your own beer is you can make more than one.

Quick Reply