Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's your favorite source for recipes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default What's your favorite source for recipes?

I'm at the point now with brewing as I am with cooking where I look at a bunch of recipes for a style and use then to make my own. So I'm looking for some good recipe resources.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

You know, I have three that I use.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/ is the most common one for me to look at. I know it's part of this forum, but it really is the most solid group of recipes I've seen anywhere.

The second one I use quite often is Brewing Classic Styles, by Jamil Zainasheff (and John Palmer). The reason is Jamil nails the BJCP guidelines and tells you what each addition brings to the recipe. So, if I make a California common, Jamil mentions you want the "toasty" flavor. That helped me be a better brewer.

The last one isn't a recipe resource really, but I use the BJCP guidelines. They tell me the OG, FG, SRM, and ingredients in every style. Then I make a recipe based on that information, especially for styles I don't brew very often (like Belgian Tripels).

I don't really use any other recipe resources.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 393

I also use Brewing Classic Styles for when I try a new style of beer. It's a great way to taste what the style is supposed to taste like before I try making own recipe.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

BCS and the NHC award winning recipes are some of my favorites. You can find the NHC recipes on the AHA website. I like these sources because they have award-winning, proven recipes. If you brew them and they come out bad you know it isn't a recipe issue but rather a technique issue.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1392 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You know, I have three that I use.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/ is the most common one for me to look at. I know it's part of this forum, but it really is the most solid group of recipes I've seen anywhere.

The second one I use quite often is Brewing Classic Styles, by Jamil Zainasheff (and John Palmer). The reason is Jamil nails the BJCP guidelines and tells you what each addition brings to the recipe. So, if I make a California common, Jamil mentions you want the "toasty" flavor. That helped me be a better brewer.

The last one isn't a recipe resource really, but I use the BJCP guidelines. They tell me the OG, FG, SRM, and ingredients in every style. Then I make a recipe based on that information, especially for styles I don't brew very often (like Belgian Tripels).

I don't really use any other recipe resources.
I'm basically the same, except I've never done a recipe from HBT. I'll get around to brewing one eventually.

What I usually do is start with the BJCP guidelines, the ingredients and flavors/aromas they list, then use the ingredients I like with the right character, in the right amount to get me within those guidelines. Then I'll usually compare it with what JZ has for that style in Brewing Classic Styles and make sure I'm not too far out of whack. I'm usually pretty close.

Up Next: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
harrydrez
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
I also use Brewing Classic Styles for when I try a new style of beer. It's a great way to taste what the style is supposed to taste like before I try making own recipe.
BCS is an excellent resource.

Quick Reply