*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's your beer "worth"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #31
Deric
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I don't brew to save money. I'd hate to add up TOTAL cost per pint to date - even though I've brewed lots of beer for lots of years. Compared to some I spend very little on equipment - compared to some I spend a lot...

That said.... "What's my beer worth?"

Slightly more than my liver.

In dog beers I've only had one.

bscott1011 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #32
Gab1788
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

"What's my beer worth?

Slightly more than my liver"

That has to be the best quote I've heard aeons here in a while!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #33
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 603

Lets see I have an average of $18 each for my corny kegs, I can sell them for $35, It cost me $80 for my keggles, I can sell them for $150. I'm retired so my time is free. I pay $37 for ingredients to brew 10 gallons. With the new math it looks like beer pays me $1.00 a bottle to drink.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #34
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 611 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 54

My beer is time invested.
Time is money.
Money is power.
Power is a drug.
Drugs are bad.
Everything bad is good for you.

Speaking in transitive platitudes:
My beer is good for you.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #35
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I used to go through a 1/2 barrel of $120 beer every 3 weeks. Now I can brew that same 15.5 gallons for ~$35 (including water but not propane). My current investment is ~$1200 and I keg. I started with the $99 brewers best kit and was hooked then looked at how much I could save with just a minimal investment (this all happened within 3 months). Even with ordering cleaning/sanitizing supplies I still will theoretically have my equipment paid in the first year. (that's what I am telling myself anyway)

Old 02-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #36
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default worth?

I have two different ways to look at the value of my beer...or brewing habit:

First: the reality of how much total money I spend on drinking. Before brewing I typically spent about $40 per week between beer & wine for home, and drinks when I was out. Now, my friends usually come to my house...the beer, wine & booze they bring has filled my cabinet. (because we drink my homebrew) I now brew about once per week @ $20 be batch...much more alcohol in the house, $20 less spent per week

Second: One of my favorite beer drinking conversations when sampling a new beer is comparing it to favorite commercial beers....not for taste....but price. "I like this more than XXX which cost $ per bottle" A few people can quickly find a "value" for the beer. Honestly, this is most fun for beers that are not perfect...amazing how often the beer we view as failures are still better than some commercial craft brews.

Quick Reply