Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's your beer "worth"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #21
eric19312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't include labor! This is a hobby! You can actually make the case that your labor rate should be a negative vale since if you weren't brewing you might be doing something else with that leisure time that costs money.

I do depreciate my gear over 30 batches. Figure that is want I can do in a year if I keep up current level of intensity, and I'm sure there is always going to be some new bling I will want to acquire so don't want to be saddled to 10 year depreciation schedule.

I'm about $600 into gear now so that is costing me $20/batch. But I'm on batch 17 on this gar so am going to have it paid off soon. Ingredients running average $25/ batch, so my total cost without labor is less than $1/ bottle. And that's with labor at $0.

But as I said, labor should probably be a negative adjustment...meaning the beer is actually darn near free...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #22
BrewPharm
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You want a fun one to calculate? Take a look at the cost per bottle of your very first batch way back when or just last week (which ever applies). Ingredients, kettle, bottles, fermenters, thermometers, cleanser/sanitizer, etc. I did the math.... and if it wasn't for the joy of the process and love of the end product it would be tough to justify.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #23
eric19312
Recipes 

Yah I'm curious how prior poster got to only $500 with kegging equipment. I'm trying to keep track of all the odds and ends but they do add up. Picked up a $3 tool today to measure malt mill gap...last week needed to replace a broken floating thermometer.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Sween
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As I stated before, I did this just to think of a "theoretical" cost... Not because I think of this as "work" or anything other than a hobby...

If someone asked me "what would your beer cost if I bought it at a store?"... This is what i would tell them....

Of course my calculation methods are rudimentary... Lets not take this so seriously.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #25
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
If you are home brewing to save money, you're deluding yourself. It is about passion, love of doing it yourself, and crafting something. ROI is to buy commercial stuff on sale.
As I said, I don't homebrew because it saves me money, I started because the cost of beer I was buying made me think, "Dang, if I'm paying this much, I might was well start brewing it myself.

There is no doubt it's going to take a lot of beer to officially recoup my costs for equipment, that might not ever happen. But, I tend to brew more session beers and straight up cost of ingredients now is around $20 for me, plus or minus a few bucks here and there. When a keg of Miller Lite now runs $98, I'm able to brew a lot tastier, more enjoyable beer than that for almost $30 cheaper than buying that 15 gallons in a keg from a commercial brewery.

Granted, that doesn't include the $1000 startup investment, the propane refills, tap water bill, gas to and from the LHBS and additional equipment I keep buying to replace old equipment or just get something new. There is something to be said for it being economical, compared to buying $9 six packs a couple of times a week.

Am I saving money, probably not, but I'm surely not blowing my life savings making beer either. First and foremost I think the key is to look at it as a hobby. I've built train sets before, my second love is still 1/32 slot cars. The ROI for those things is only fun and you have to ask yourself, "What is the enjoyment of this worth?" Making beer is enough of an enjoyment for me, that I never have really sat down and run the numbers, because it doesn't really matter, I'd rather make beer than buy it, that's why I do it.

I do know though, roughly what it costs me to make 15 gallons and what it costs me to buy 15.5 gallons and when you add the tax the state gets off of each ounce of beer I buy, it's definitely worth it to continue to enjoy this hobby. Hell, I think for the tax alone on one keg here now, I can at least buy the grain for a nice session Pale Ale.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sween View Post
As I stated before, I did this just to think of a "theoretical" cost... Not because I think of this as "work" or anything other than a hobby...

If someone asked me "what would your beer cost if I bought it at a store?"... This is what i would tell them....

Of course my calculation methods are rudimentary... Lets not take this so seriously.
I thought it was a neat idea and fun.
Surprised to see some people be so critical of what seemed to be just a fun "fluff" thread.
Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
eric19312
Recipes 

Sorry if I overreacted. Love the topic! I work in marketing so my answer re what I'd price my beer at would be based on competitive field not my cost. My cost would determine if my business was viable...

So who is my competition?

BMC - not competition

Big craft - Bought a 12 pack of SN Ruthless Rye this week. Pretty comparable to my house ales. With tax and deposit was $1.58/bottle. But fringe benefit is I need a few more bottles.

Neighborhood micro - $15/ half gallon. About $3/bottle. Great beer. Source of knowledge and inspiration for my own recipes. I'm not there yet quality wise on every batch, but getting close, achievable target, getting into kegging would help.

Small run craft - $8 - $20+ for a bomber, sometimes champagne bottle. Like homebrew, these are of variable quality. But at the high end of the range they are producing something that for now appears to be out of reach. Ask me again in a couple years....

So I'd price my house beer at $1.50 and my bigger beers, when successful, at $3/bottle.

Again this is for fun. Not trying to troll OP or anyone else on the thread.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #28
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trout View Post
I thought it was a neat idea and fun.
Surprised to see some people be so critical of what seemed to be just a fun "fluff" thread.
Don't take it so hard. I thought it was pretty neat, without this, I never would have really put any numbers to what I do. The arguments are just part of the internet today. Heck, my running joke whenever I hear anyone say, "The internet is a great tool to get information." I always say, "No, an encyclopedia is a great tool to get information, the internet is a great place to get a million different opinions on that once piece of information."

Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #29
NeighborsBrewingCo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My time is easily worth 257 dollars an hour.

No more no less.

I make expensive beer.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #30
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I try to keep my costs under a, "Buck A Bomber."