Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #751
ladodger34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I like buying "craft brew" from time to time at Trader Joe's. I like the Oatmeal Stout and Dunkelweiss (the dunkel is a treat because the style isn't super popular in southern Ca). $6 a six pack is a pretty good deal for decent beer, plus it is a nice way to eventually get empties. Anyhow, those 2 are brewed for TJs by Gordon Biersch (they also do Kirkland for Costco).

Today, I decided to get Mission St. blonde ale and Kennebunk Port IPA. I got the blonde ale as a comparison for my first brew (blonde ale kit from More Beer). Needless to say, I likes mine better. Got the IPA for the hell of it and it has no hop character at all.

Not the worst craft brews ever (Rogue Maple Bacon takes that prize) but entirely underwhelming stuff. Oh well, the bottles will soon be filled with my stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #752
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwf4jericho
Not sure if its considered craft but Goose Island Honkers Ale was just fowl Pun intended.
Agreed.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #753
Revolt
Recipes 

Clown Shoes Lubrication - I'm sure some like it but it just smells of cigarette butts to me.

Yuengling Bock Beer

Old 03-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #754
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Brux by Sierra Neveda. Their experimental sour. Feed-back from staff seems they won't be doing anything similar for a long while. After I ordered a glass took a couple sips, I guess my face said it all and bar tender said she would pour me something different. Two-headed double Rye IPA yum!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #755
golfduke
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Woodstock brewery thru-hiker RyePA. I hope that I just got a fowl bomber, because it was the first in a long time that I just couldn't suck it up and grit through... It is hard to explain, but it had this really REALLY harsh champagne-like carbonation bite with a fruity off flavor. It just wasn't right. I know rye tends to bite. This was nothing like that. It almost tasted like a carbonation infection, if there is such a thing.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #756
tdhickey
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I would say Rogue Beers to me has the most inconsistent hit/miss ratio. Liqourice Porter - horrid, I do love the maple bacon beer though (it's a breakfest beer), but it is not for everyone. Rogue has had some awesome beers like Double Dead Guy ale, and undrinkables like their Single Malt Ale which is horrendous...I have only poured two beers down the drain, both were Rogue beers. That being said, they also have some of the best beer too (their Barleywine is fantastic).

Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #757
tdhickey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew View Post
Am I the only one who actually liked this beer?
I quite like this beer, it is also really fun to take to a party, camping or event. I make people try it and it is usually 3 out of 10 that actually like it. It is a novelty beer at most, even better as a breakfast beer while camping. In fact that beer can literally be your breakfast!

It's ok to hate on novelty beers, but they are what they are, novelty beers at best. What I don't understand is how a decent brewery will release a crap version of an ale, IPA or really anything that is so unbalanced its undrinkable. That is inexcusable in my mind.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #758
Beergazzi
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Though it may have been a mental thing, Flying Dog Oyster Stout ("Made with real Rapanack River Oysters") just was an unpleasent beverage...but my mental image of oysters in beer may have done it in.

Im sure I've had worse ones, but their names excape me.

FWIW I thought Goose Island Honkers Ale was great.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #759
tdhickey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
OK, I have to join everyone saying Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon. My friend brought me a bottle and said it was terrible, but I should try it anyway. Cloying artificial maple that coats the inside of your mouth and a liquid smoke flavor backing it up. I poured it into a 2oz taster glass, took one sip, gave my wife one sip, and poured out the other 1.75 ounces followed by the rest of the bottle. Worst beer ever! It makes me mad this beer exists at all, it makes me furious that Rogue sells it for $13+ a bottle.
Nothing artificial in that beer

Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #760
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhickey View Post

Nothing artificial in that beer
Then they managed to turn maple syrup into crap.

Quick Reply