Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #471
skullface1818
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
+1, I think SOME beer STYLES are definitely supposed to be well balanced, but some beers are supposed to be a hopsmack in the face, and then some beers are supposed to be sweet and creamy. does not make them any less good to a person who enjoys that particular taste it leans more towards. Besides if I somehow balanced out something with a **** ton of Ibu's what the hell was point I could have just used less bittering hops haha
You summed it up a lot simpler than I did, but yes, that is what I was going for.

I personally think that a beer should never be overly sweet or overly hoppy, but yea, that's just me

Sometimes I want a sweet smack in the face, and sometimes you want a hop smack in the face.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #472
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
I worked at Starr Hill for about 7 months. The Lucy is a summer ale brewed with lime and coriander. its syrupy and tastes and feels like cough syrup. One day I saw the brewers adding the lime and coriander extract and it was a thick, goopy, bright orange syrup that I could smell from the other side of the brewer. Can't imagine that beer ever being a refreshing summer ale. If anything it made me really thirsty for water.
Dear god, I think I've had this one before..............It was damn terrible.

Id put a cross between this and the Detroit alt as two of the worst craft beers of all time

Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #473
cwdrake
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Anchor Christmas Ale. I've only had the 2012 version and it was terrible. Tastes like watered down Jagermeister.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #474
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno

Agreed... the only Sam Adams I seem to like is the original.

Maybe they just over do it? Maybe th beer tastes great fresh, out of the tap at the brew house... but it sure doesnt age well in the bottles.

I had their Hop special variety last night... Was drinking the Noble Pils with 5 noble hops in it... it was rich in hops... but jeez... who wants too much hop in a beer? If I tricked myself into liking it, it still would only be okay.

So to your point, yes, Sam Adams puts out some real questionable beers. Maybe they are over doing it?
I think the Sam Adams pale ale (not Boston pale just the pale) is rather good...it's EKG and Fuggles. I cloned it a couple times it came out quite good ...their harvest beer is gross though, really rather boring.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #475
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123
I really don't like super hoppy American IPA's. My SWMBO however, is a hop head. She keeps bringing home these beers for us to try. The last two were Dogfish IPA and something bitch IPA (with a wacked out female dog on the label). Couldn't stomach either of them. So yeah, any of those hey check out our crazy, trendy, grapefruit vomity, sidewalk eating IPA's with the funky label IPA's. Them's are the worst.
Oh yeah, and Gritty's Pumpkinhead...tastes like a pumpkin tossed its cookies
I was like you once ... I said the same things. I don't like dogfish 60 anymore because I find it too malty. The bitch IPA is probably flying dog, which is pretty decent if I recall.

I don't like overly bittered iPas still but I love HOPPY beers. Grapefruit puke sounds damned good !

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #476
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

rino1rino:
Over doing it seems to be the thing these days . Notice that everything is over done to the point it really is not that good . Beers are out of control . Movies are so over done that the stunts are stupid and make the flic not so enjoyable . Hey at least make them kind of believable . Fast food and drinks are super sized . It just goes on and on

Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #477
craigger64
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuskillion View Post
rino1rino:
Over doing it seems to be the thing these days . Notice that everything is over done to the point it really is not that good . Beers are out of control . Movies are so over done that the stunts are stupid and make the flic not so enjoyable . Hey at least make them kind of believable . Fast food and drinks are super sized . It just goes on and on
+1

Old 12-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #478
nvious23
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

New Belgium hoptoberfest wife bought it for me and wow if you like hop strong taste and flavor this beer is it for you. Myself I prefer stouter and porters.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #479
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvious23 View Post
New Belgium hoptoberfest wife bought it for me and wow if you like hop strong taste and flavor this beer is it for you. Myself I prefer stouter and porters.
I would call that beer slightly hippy at most. The balance is tipped towards malt.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #480
brighamj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Foothills Brewing's People's Porter. I may get another bottle if I ever need to strip some paint.

Quick Reply